Project Rescue

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Project Rescue

Post by 'quipt4it »

:thumbup:
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Project Rescue

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Have a GOOD like in the head chambers between valves too as these are prone to cracking between ESPECIALLY when on LPG!
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Have a GOOD like in the head chambers between valves too as these are prone to cracking between ESPECIALLY when on LPG!
Yeah I've had a real good look and we see nothing. Just the stuffed exhaust valves.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Project Rescue

Post by vlad01 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Have a GOOD like in the head chambers between valves too as these are prone to cracking between ESPECIALLY when on LPG!

I have only seen one ecotec that wasn't cracked there. I am surprised these aren't.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

Maybe it has something to do with it not been as hot here?

The one option this car has is AC and my experience here is that with the AC on the engines run at about thermostat temp because the low speed thermofan is on to keep the condenser cool at lower road speeds.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Project Rescue

Post by Gareth »

I have pulled hundreds of these engines apart and very few crack, even on LPG...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

That's good to hear because I've been looking for cracks and can't find em. Even tried different light sources, scrubbed the shit out of em etc.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Project Rescue

Post by 'quipt4it »

I have found one only once. Steam was blowing out of this customer's VS V6 the exhaust. I thought 'head gasket'.
When I pulled the heads, the gaskets checked out OK.
In most cases you should, by eye, be able to pick up a crack. I could. If you are really in doubt get them crack tested.
My example was fairly easy to spot.
These heads are definitely more prone to cracking, because of their 'lightweight' design. But that doesn't mean they will...
Here is an example of what to look for....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

Definitely nothing like that on my heads.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

My new valve grinding paste finally arrived (a day late as is the norm here).

It's not ideal, far from it but this how the worst head has come up.
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 16.16.59.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 16.18.34.jpeg
The worst one I tested with water for over an hour an no leaks.
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 14.23.59.jpeg
So it's not a by the book kinda freshen up, hell, I'll probably blow it up at some stage at the end of the year so I'm not hugely fussed over it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.