Hi all. Been a while since I was on here learning so it's all abit rusty.
Been playing with Kalmaker for V6s and now have to do a 5L with a Crane H276 cam and a fresh set of rings/ bearings. Instead of investing in more dated Kalmaker software and hardware I was looking at Tunerpro to tune with possibly.
Just after the pros/ cons and how to get it up and running. I've downloaded the trial version and it seems very coherent but having not used it in real time (if it can be used in real time at all?) am unsure if this is the path to take or if I should invest more money in the 5L stuff for kalmaker which aint cheap
When using TPV5 is there any kind of security protocol that is needed to allow modification of the tune files or is it as simple as reading the chip to a buffer, then editing it and writing it back to the memcal upon completion of that stage?
Cheers in advance. I want to get cracking on this tune asap as there will be learning along the way
Tuning 5L VP SS
-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
TP5 does it very wellkrusty wrote:Hi all. Been a while since I was on here learning so it's all abit rusty.
Been playing with Kalmaker for V6s and now have to do a 5L with a Crane H276 cam and a fresh set of rings/ bearings. Instead of investing in more dated Kalmaker software and hardware I was looking at Tunerpro to tune with possibly.
Just after the pros/ cons and how to get it up and running. I've downloaded the trial version and it seems very coherent but having not used it in real time (if it can be used in real time at all?) am unsure if this is the path to take or if I should invest more money in the 5L stuff for kalmaker which aint cheap
Will be a dream if your used to old laptops and DOS software. Can use these as a starting point ... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =140#p9771 and transfer over items to 12P .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=27&t=356
No security with using software from here, can just burn the bin to a normal memcal when your done. Can use the flashtool to read the entire bin from the NVRAM too.krusty wrote:When using TPV5 is there any kind of security protocol that is needed to allow modification of the tune files or is it as simple as reading the chip to a buffer, then editing it and writing it back to the memcal upon completion of that stage?
Cheers in advance. I want to get cracking on this tune asap as there will be learning along the way
-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
Yeah it would be a huge positive to be able to utilise my I5 6oogig laptop lol.
Yes I'm a lazy ass but can a direct real time link be established while tuning TPV5 using your comms boards VL400? Pretty sure they can yes but just after confirmation at this stage
Yes I'm a lazy ass but can a direct real time link be established while tuning TPV5 using your comms boards VL400? Pretty sure they can yes but just after confirmation at this stage
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
Yep, can log and tune over the one cable - USB or RS232.
-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
So I will need this or https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=165 or this https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164? I'm assuming that they both do the same job except the 1st one interfaces with the laptop via serial and the 2nd one interfaces via USB?
And then I'll need this NVRAM board https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=167?
What else would I need to call it a complete set up? I already have a wideband controller thanks to alot of your guys great awhile a while back
And then I'll need this NVRAM board https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=167?
What else would I need to call it a complete set up? I already have a wideband controller thanks to alot of your guys great awhile a while back
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
it depends on what kalmaker gear youve still got laying round... the kalmaker logging interface and nvram all does the same job, you can just flash the nvram with a $12P bin and off you go. im just not sure how or if you can change a kalmaker nvram board from v6 to v8
-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
I only have V6 Kalmaker stuff and if I was to undertake tuning the 5L with Kal it would require me to spend in excess of $1500 for something that I only use on a hobby basis.
From what I've seen of the TPV5 it looks very exciting and more cognitive to use than Kal. Could be a good time to learn a new system
From what I've seen of the TPV5 it looks very exciting and more cognitive to use than Kal. Could be a good time to learn a new system
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10016
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
Yeah kal resistor board can be changed.
http://kalmaker.com.au/phpbb3/viewtopic ... pack#p2738
http://kalmaker.com.au/phpbb3/viewtopic ... pack#p2738
But VL400s boards are better (jumpers to set the cylinders, and can use a piggybacked factory original memcal for the knock board and backup resistors) if you dont have spares.wake77 wrote: Derekbell said his v8 one only had 1 resistor on
it, it was a 10k in the 4th position down.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
I think if you already have the KAL ecm with serial interface your probably better off just getting an FTDI usb to seiral adaptor maybe ? they can be found on ebay pretty cheaply, just make sure its an FTDI interface as these are tested and proven to work reliably with our little delco interfaces!krusty wrote:So I will need this or https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=165 or this https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164? I'm assuming that they both do the same job except the 1st one interfaces with the laptop via serial and the 2nd one interfaces via USB?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: Tuning 5L VP SS
The Kal ecm is to suit VT-VY L67s which are based on Ecotec only.
It's all new hardware and software for me whichever way I go so I'm not biased but just want to evaluate the best bang for buck. Don't we all?
It's all new hardware and software for me whichever way I go so I'm not biased but just want to evaluate the best bang for buck. Don't we all?