I could learn to create everything in java/python/php, but this requires alot of learning, plus extremely slow to develop when not proficient!
Main task here is to have asp.net applications responding to standard web calls.
Sounds like an easy task right? But as you could already guess... it absolutely... is not.
This is going to be a bit of a learning saga/topic so I can at least document what I do so I can learn as I go along, and reflect if ever needing to go back.
So far, there have been ZERO tutorials which have everything all in one to get going. I have successfully got an app running in a virtual machine which can be requested from the webbrowser, to achieve this I did the following:
1) Add DHCP, Domain Controller, ISS and .net core dependencies to Windows server
2) Add a new domain to the server
3) Add a new application to the domain (app name must match application name entered, and then add path to application)
4) Port forward to the PC, then Direct request from PC to virtual machine IP.
5) Use ddns supplier to auto update server IP so domain name always points to correct IP addess (As its not static)
I could do all of the above on a dedicated computer, but this then means ensuring power/internet are never out (which happens), and a 1gbps up/down connection is around $300/mth... so hosting is clearly the cheaper option.
The above is obviously also more complex then it should be due to the virtual machine. But.. as its been quite some time since my initial testing and setup of this, I am now repeating it but on a dedicated windows server so I am bound to hit a bunch of snags.
First and foremost.. where to actually setup host.
Well.. I started looking at barebone VPS where I can directly load some sort of iso/img, but the cheap ones wanted to use some sort of hypervisor script/link to install, and expensive ones ($60+ per month) would take an img/iso but then also had addons for everything else.
So, I am currently looking at a dedicated windows VPS (all setup for me already) with 3cpu, 4gb ram and 100gb ssd for a whopping $13usd a month. Whether this is actually any good.. remains to be found out. But at a minimum, I shouldnt have memory issues.. at least not for now. This place is called database mart, I dont expect the craziest server speed, but it will do for now.
Currently waiting for the VPS to be setup and ready to go, but hopefully I can easily enough remote in. I have not figured out how to set that up via a console... I have been 100% reliant on an actual desktop view too
