0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

They go by many names, P01, P10, P12, P59, E38, VPW, '0411 etc.
Thorwon
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche
Location: Commerce GA.

0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Thorwon »

test fit.jpg
This is a 1987 Jeep YJ with a 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. The first pic is where I was mocking up the late model port injection manifold in place of the throttle body injection. It also has a set of headman headers.

My plan is to run it on a 0411 with a V8 tune. I'm going to be turning off all the DTCs for those cylinders that are not used.

The first issue is the crankshaft reluctor.

I made one and mounted it on the front of the 4.0L six cyl Jeep engine in my 1988 MJ truck. I'm running it on a P59 using a V6 Bin. It runs so good I'm going to build a new engine to replace the one in it that has over 300,000 miles on it.

But I want to mount the CPS on this engine in the factory location. So after some measuring I've decided I can modify the flywheel to be the CPS reluctor.
I've laid out the flywheel to duplicate the V8 4X trigger wheel, 30deg on 90deg off (or maybe that's 30deg off 90deg on?).
flywheel.jpg
So I'll be cutting the shaded areas away as these are the off signal from the CPS. The first issue I've ran into is the old Jeep signal pattern leaves a gap where there should metal. So I'll have to warm up my welding skills, then have the flywheel rebalanced.
flywheel 1.jpg
I've got a 0411 with a 5.3L manual tune in it that I think I'm going to try. When I get the flywheel modified I'll up date the post.


:driving:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bad things happen FAST!!!
Thorwon
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche
Location: Commerce GA.

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Thorwon »

I have a few questions for ya'll.
As you know from the title of the thread I'm going to run my 2.5L jeep on a 0411.
I have been setting it up to run on low res 4x crank trigger. But I have a 24x reluctor I can make a mount for on the balancer and plenty of room to build a sensor mount.
My first question is:

Do you think the 24x is worth doing?

What are the advantages of the 24x over the 4x?

If I use the 24x can I use coil near plug?

I have a 2000 1500 truck harness and computer I picked up at the u-pull it the other day. The OS is 09381344.
I have a 12212156 BIN and matching XDF I can load.
Bad things happen FAST!!!
MudDuck514
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 pm
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E
Location: North TX, USA

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

In order to run CnP ignition you would HAVE to run the PCM with a 24x reluctor.

The later 60 degree V6 engines have a 24x unit in the Balancer with a sensor bolted to the timing cover.

It might give you a starting point for yours as I believe that they are internally balanced.

Mike
Cincinnatus
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 am
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Cincinnatus »

24x is coil near plug only, 4x is distributor only
Thorwon
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche
Location: Commerce GA.

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Thorwon »

Ok so 24x it is. I want to run coil near plug. Now I've got to find or build a reluctor. I think I want to build it. I've got to build a mount for it anyway. It'll probably be easier to design them together.
I've been looking at 24x reluctors and they are not neutral balanced or will be hard to mount or both.


So does it have to have the double pattern?
b2eaf8982d687713715824d0b8fd2edb.jpg
Or can that be modified to just one pattern?
Untitled.png
I was reading somewhere that with the right crank position sensor you can run a single pattern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bad things happen FAST!!!
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Dylan »

Correct, the OEM sensor will need the dual wheel, aftermarket will work with the single. Most suppliers of the timing wheels will also sell sensors.

Keep up the work and please keep us updated
This is an exciting one for sure
User avatar
turbo_v6
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by turbo_v6 »

I had my own laser cut and it was cheap. I made it 7” in diameter and it worked great with a Cherry Hall effect sensor. They are hard to find right now
LS1 Boost OS Version 5 Available Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread.
Thorwon
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche
Location: Commerce GA.

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Thorwon »

How do you align it to TDC #1 cylinder?
In other words "where is 0 deg" on the pattern?
I'm going to mount it on the balancer so how do I align it?
Bad things happen FAST!!!
Cincinnatus
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 am
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Cincinnatus »

reluctor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thorwon
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche
Location: Commerce GA.

Re: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine

Post by Thorwon »

Cincinnatus wrote:
reluctor.jpg

So the crank position sensor aligns with the alignment hole in the reluctor?
Damn, that sounds too easy. LOL

Thanks
Bad things happen FAST!!!