First need to solder on the headers and test each board, but otherwise hopefully be the last batch prior to a larger order of 50+.
OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
Our (Hopefully) final lot of 5 tester OBDX GT boards have arrived. These will be shipped out to a select few to tinker with when ready, I will message those that are receiving one.
First need to solder on the headers and test each board, but otherwise hopefully be the last batch prior to a larger order of 50+.
First need to solder on the headers and test each board, but otherwise hopefully be the last batch prior to a larger order of 50+.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
Petes on a mission to implement a few missing ELM protocols in a separate breakout board (to later fit onto a smaller scale), this includes:
• J1850 PWM - Ford Fords
• ISO 9141-2 (K and L line)
• ISO 14230-4 KWP (K Line)
I think I can buy an old AU falcon PCM to get PWM (I think???) but I have no idea what actually uses the next two protocols?
Since I don't know the other manufactures, it does make it hard to know what Im looking for.
I read about Chrysler using 9141-2 on some of its older PCMs, but I wouldn't have a clue which.
• J1850 PWM - Ford Fords
• ISO 9141-2 (K and L line)
• ISO 14230-4 KWP (K Line)
I think I can buy an old AU falcon PCM to get PWM (I think???) but I have no idea what actually uses the next two protocols?
Since I don't know the other manufactures, it does make it hard to know what Im looking for.
I read about Chrysler using 9141-2 on some of its older PCMs, but I wouldn't have a clue which.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
K-line I'm pretty sure is the older Opel models & also Toyota(I think around 2005 vintage for both).
There's another that would be great to have but not many of them out there 2001 to 2005 Toyota use JDM.
The toyota range is a pretty high user group if it was added!
There's another that would be great to have but not many of them out there 2001 to 2005 Toyota use JDM.
The toyota range is a pretty high user group if it was added!
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
Right right, I’ll try search opel parts first just cause that’s still GM based so easier to work with.VX L67 Getrag wrote:K-line I'm pretty sure is the older Opel models & also Toyota(I think around 2005 vintage for both).
There's another that would be great to have but not many of them out there 2001 to 2005 Toyota use JDM.
The toyota range is a pretty high user group if it was added!
Otherwise time to start looking up random Toyota ecus and try lookup the tech specs!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
Tazzi, been following along with every update and it is some very interesting reading!!!!
I feel your pain with the protocols and the way GM accesses the MDI with sps2.. They connect at least twice with 2 different protocols, 3 if it's vpw, lol.. Some of it makes no sense whatsoever..
Definitely learning a few things just reading along, been working on my own code to write to the Silverado BCM's. DPS works but it's been turning into a pain in the ass creating a different archive for every single byte change attempt trying to find the timer byte. Figured my owne code would be simple and done in a day or two.. It's been 2 weeks!! Been a lot harder than just writing to ecm's and tcm's. Finally had to learn how to start a periodic message, I had 3e's set to go off with my own code since I thought the periodic tool present might mess up my writes but no matter what I tried it failed.. I even figured out how to create an array with the 36 command as a header using IS015765 and send the whole array instead of just using CAN and writing it line by line, lol.. Yeah it's cleaner but it still failed until I added that damn periodic tool message instead of my own.. lol..
Anyways, thank's for the blog about your work, simply fantastic..
I feel your pain with the protocols and the way GM accesses the MDI with sps2.. They connect at least twice with 2 different protocols, 3 if it's vpw, lol.. Some of it makes no sense whatsoever..
Definitely learning a few things just reading along, been working on my own code to write to the Silverado BCM's. DPS works but it's been turning into a pain in the ass creating a different archive for every single byte change attempt trying to find the timer byte. Figured my owne code would be simple and done in a day or two.. It's been 2 weeks!! Been a lot harder than just writing to ecm's and tcm's. Finally had to learn how to start a periodic message, I had 3e's set to go off with my own code since I thought the periodic tool present might mess up my writes but no matter what I tried it failed.. I even figured out how to create an array with the 36 command as a header using IS015765 and send the whole array instead of just using CAN and writing it line by line, lol.. Yeah it's cleaner but it still failed until I added that damn periodic tool message instead of my own.. lol..
Anyways, thank's for the blog about your work, simply fantastic..
-
kur4o
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
Almost all euro cars[opel,audi,vw,bmw,MB and so on] use k-line before the CAN era. L-line is really very limited to some italian crap piece of cars[fial,alfa romeo]. You can really skip that l-line for sure. It is only used to start the k-lin communication, something like external init sequence.
From a hardware point all protocols are the same[same as uart but using different voltage levels]. Main difference is the init sequence, and also the baud rate can be changed and negotiated.
There is a very simple 2 transistors to serial port schematics and more complex using Si9241AEY chip to uart->usb converter.
Just for fun I have home made both of this and they work good.
tech2win uses k-line extensively on most opel and some saabs and daweoos. It needs to be configured on different pins, Not only the standard pin7. I had a log for the most popular pins if you need one.
If you need a log with tech2win logging k-line pcm I can send you some.
Chrysler SCI protocol is hardly covered by anything. You may consider adding support for this too.
From a hardware point all protocols are the same[same as uart but using different voltage levels]. Main difference is the init sequence, and also the baud rate can be changed and negotiated.
There is a very simple 2 transistors to serial port schematics and more complex using Si9241AEY chip to uart->usb converter.
Just for fun I have home made both of this and they work good.
tech2win uses k-line extensively on most opel and some saabs and daweoos. It needs to be configured on different pins, Not only the standard pin7. I had a log for the most popular pins if you need one.
If you need a log with tech2win logging k-line pcm I can send you some.
Chrysler SCI protocol is hardly covered by anything. You may consider adding support for this too.
-
hjtrbo
- Posts: 353
- Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:57 am
- cars: VF2 R8 LSA
FG XR6T
HJ Ute w/RB25DET
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
Have a feeling k line is also for comms to the ZF in BF and FG Falcons.
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
It’s a bit painful with how many different protocols it tried to use.. then mixing between ISO and raw CAN, and finally being extremely particular with frame timing on loop back messages when enabledironduke wrote:Tazzi, been following along with every update and it is some very interesting reading!!!!
I feel your pain with the protocols and the way GM accesses the MDI with sps2.. They connect at least twice with 2 different protocols, 3 if it's vpw, lol.. Some of it makes no sense whatsoever..
It’s been a journey that’s for sure.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
hjtrbo wrote:Have a feeling k line is also for comms to the ZF in BF and FG Falcons.
Pretty sure FG should be CAN? Since Ford uses the high speed can with FEPs pin to go into flashing mode
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions
We were looking at using a LIN transceiver for the Kline hardware since that’s 12v compliant. I do actually recall reading Kline on the E55…. So maybe I can develop based off of that??? It’s not it’s primary communication link but it does support it regardless.kur4o wrote:Almost all euro cars[opel,audi,vw,bmw,MB and so on] use k-line before the CAN era. L-line is really very limited to some italian crap piece of cars[fial,alfa romeo]. You can really skip that l-line for sure. It is only used to start the k-lin communication, something like external init sequence.
From a hardware point all protocols are the same[same as uart but using different voltage levels]. Main difference is the init sequence, and also the baud rate can be changed and negotiated.
There is a very simple 2 transistors to serial port schematics and more complex using Si9241AEY chip to uart->usb converter.
Just for fun I have home made both of this and they work good.
tech2win uses k-line extensively on most opel and some saabs and daweoos. It needs to be configured on different pins, Not only the standard pin7. I had a log for the most popular pins if you need one.
If you need a log with tech2win logging k-line pcm I can send you some.
Chrysler SCI protocol is hardly covered by anything. You may consider adding support for this too.
But will have to try find some opel/daewoo ecus… hopefully they are Kline.
As for Chryslers protocols, Pete and I spoke about adding support for SCI and also CDD, but we would need to either move to a bigger processor or make a separate dedicated tool since we don’t have enough pins on the processor.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
