Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
jamesried
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by jamesried »

Tazzi wrote:Yeah just checked that also. It could be that SPS may download additional files that are not shown in the SPS calibration screen (Which does occur for certain modules such as E38's).

spscache directory only has the one binary and the utility file if I remember right. I used to pull them from SPS and then write the binary to replacement ECUs with efilive or tunercat instead of flashing natively until I figured out that a Tech 2 is about the only tool that'll flash them correctly with TIS2000. They really do suck really bad lol. But they're valuable ECUs now because of this for those that don't want to repin for a P01 swap.
jamesried
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by jamesried »

Possibly the issue isn't a corrupt eeprom but the checksums being stored in there and not being updated correctly? Interesting they say flashing the original file back can fix it on that HPT link.
kojab
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
Location: Sydney

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by kojab »

Looks like the 98 PCM's are certainly very different to the P01/P59.

They say you learn something new ever day. Recently I have been going backwards, I forget more things my wife said to do the day before.



I do have a 98 PCM here in Australia which came out of a perfectly running car. If any one needs one let me know.
jamesried
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by jamesried »

kojab wrote:Looks like the 98 PCM's are certainly very different to the P01/P59.

They say you learn something new ever day. Recently I have been going backwards, I forget more things my wife said to do the day before.



I do have a 98 PCM here in Australia which came out of a perfectly running car. If any one needs one let me know.
I've been selling them programed and tested for nearly 800 each on ebay, throw it on there and get paid!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by antus »

reading the linked threads and reading between the lines, it seems correct that its not in the bin. efilive can open the bin and it says vin: N/A for the file. Certainly sounds like its not intended to be stored in the bin.
hptuners can store multiple ranges in their file format. they might store a secondary eeprom in the one hpt file, and this could be behind their logic. since you cant export one of those to bin, thats probably the end of the road there. although I think i've read with an extra paid feature you might be able to. it'd be interesting to see what comes out if anyone can do it.
there might still be eeprom in the cpu, and with the right BDM config it might be readable, similar to E40 shown here https://youtu.be/SVBxSNdFr7A?t=81
edit: I loaded the 1998 hpt file from the hpt tune repository, and vcm editor does not list a vin either, so that looks like there isnt a second image in the hpt file which contains it too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Asylumwarp
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:11 am

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by Asylumwarp »

This has internal memory and is a MC68HC11E9 which I believe is an early attempt at a slave chip. For the main cpu it's a 68332 which I don't believe contains any onboard accessible memory
The e40 slave chip I believe is the newer version of this design going from 8 bit to 16 bit.. I 99.999999% believe the vin and serial and crank sensor code is inside that 68hc chip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
busta9876
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:52 am
cars: 89 Caprice 5.3L 67mm Turbo, 4L80E
67 Chevy C10, 6.0L LS6 Cam, 4L65E
86 K5 Blazer, 5.3L, TH400

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by busta9876 »

I spent today getting my U-Link NT figured out and brought back a few P01, P59's and even an E40. I had a 98 PCM labeled failed flash, so dug in and figured out the pins for the BDM hook up using the microprocessor pin-outs.

Initially I read another 98 f-body pcm that was working fine with CATS OBD2 and saved as binary file. This would be my file to put back on the flash chip. I got the BDM hooked up and just started by selecting ECU411BDM in the U-Link NT program. Right off the bat it recognized Intel 28F800 flash chip. I could read it and save, but it would not erase. Every time I blank checked it, would show the same data. I did a little googling and come up with the flash chip might be write protect mode. I checked voltage on pin 1 of the 28F800 chip and it stayed around 3 volts during the erase process. I took a 100 ohm resistor to 12v, and touched the resistor to pin 1 and did the erase process again, this time it blank checked successfully, I quickly loaded the 98 f-body ls1 file, wrote it, it verified. Success! That PCM was now back to life. Was able to flash/read with CATS OBD2 without issues. Next need to build a harness to adapt it to a P01 harness so I can test it. (I have a bunch of these I need to test before I sell)

It did come back to life showing a corvette vin#. As mentioned in prior posts that info is in another chip. At least whatever level of bricked this PCM was, was able to get it back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.