Idle timing

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Lawso
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 pm
cars: VR Ute with VS V6 Getrag driveline
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute
Location: Campbelltown NSW

Idle timing

Post by Lawso »

Got a bit of an odd problem.
I'm using OSE12P on a modified 355. After reading all that I could find on idle timing, I'm coming up short with a solution.

I have the main timing and idle timing maps set to where I want it, but the idle timing is about 10.5 degrees. I'm after 18 degrees, but can't seem to get it to do it.

I have checked through all of the maps, scalars and flags, can't seem to find anything that is causing it.

Obviously, I am missing something...

If anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Idle timing

Post by VL400 »

Have you adjusted any of the Idle spark Adjustment params? They will change the idle spark advance (add or subtract) depending on how close the engine is to the target idle speed, but its only around +-5deg max in a standard bin. While logging do the flags indicate that your in closed loop idle speed control (not closed loop fuel) and whats the target idle speed vs actual RPM?
Lawso
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 pm
cars: VR Ute with VS V6 Getrag driveline
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute
Location: Campbelltown NSW

Re: Idle timing

Post by Lawso »

Thanks mate.

Checked the log, it's in closed loop idle.
Idle spark correction is set to 5 deg.

Idle speed was a little high but fluctuating. Target is set to 950.

Might try setting correction to 0 and stabilise the idle first, get the throtle opening, fuel, spark and steps right first.

Sounds similar to IPS ( idle proportional spark) in Kalmaker. Using Kalmaker, I disable IPS with larger cams.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Idle timing

Post by antus »

Yeah it is. Thats how the factory code and the derivatives do it. Got any pics or info on the car?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Lawso
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 pm
cars: VR Ute with VS V6 Getrag driveline
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute
Location: Campbelltown NSW

Re: Idle timing

Post by Lawso »

The car is a VR SS, manual, 355.

Engine has 11:1 comp, cam is similar to the crane 288, heads are unported, bigger springs collets and retainers.
Cheap stud mount rockers.
It a scat stroker kit, I beams and cast pistons.

Manifold is a torque power dual plane high rise, edelbrock throttle body, 36lb super 6 injectors.

So far i has run out of fuel pump and the customer is upgrading it.

A similar engine I built recenty made 480hp on the engine dyno.

I have a couple more engines coming up to tune, so I'm trying to get my head around TP5 with this one.

The next one is an LJ 2 door, 355 holden, 12:1, CNC ported dash 9's, solid roller, forged flat tops, H beams, harrop crank, 4 bolt running an 8 throttle setup. Should make 550 - 580hp.

I will try to get some pics of them
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Idle timing

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

They sound SWEET, Would love pic's espec of the LJ, that would be 1 mean little beast(a car I've dreamt of rebuilding & slamming an 8 in there!).