Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
-
Gampy
- Posts: 2332
- Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
Please re-read my post!
Intelligence is in the details!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
-
DWS
- Posts: 250
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:04 am
- cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.
- Location: USA
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
Congrats on getting it going, one if the earlier messages I did mention about disabling the security/immo. Some people call it VATS, GM calls it PassKey Ford calls it PATS, there's just so many names for it. I remember having to zero out like 3 security settings to disable it, didn't remember anything about the trouble codes having to be disabled, but that's why forums exist to data log that kind of details =). Anyway, I did mention about the BCM not being required for the derby cars with the immo disabled in the engine computer, so I figured that would at least get the car up and running, but didn't know anything about if the BCM would actually work like it should while in that state.
The only negative thing about the current setup in you car is technically speaking it's easier to steal now, just hot wiring the ignition switch wires would make it run, but there's still the steering lock and such to make things not so easy still. The immo/passkey system isn't super hard to get pass if the theif knows what parts to swap out, so it's only one more step and they'd know the vehicle better than the average person. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it though, just might be a good idea to not tell everyone that your car's hacked like this.
Anyway, here's a more recent mention about it, looks like I called it passkey in that message. I found an older mention too where I just called it security =).

Anyway, car is up and running on the computer you wanted to use and the new BCM, so that's what really counts. What did you use for reading/writing the bin files? I've always done it via BDM/JTAG directly on the board, but pretty sure you did it over OBD2. I wasn't sure if that was even a thing at this point, but sounds like it is now.
The only negative thing about the current setup in you car is technically speaking it's easier to steal now, just hot wiring the ignition switch wires would make it run, but there's still the steering lock and such to make things not so easy still. The immo/passkey system isn't super hard to get pass if the theif knows what parts to swap out, so it's only one more step and they'd know the vehicle better than the average person. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it though, just might be a good idea to not tell everyone that your car's hacked like this.
Anyway, here's a more recent mention about it, looks like I called it passkey in that message. I found an older mention too where I just called it security =).

Anyway, car is up and running on the computer you wanted to use and the new BCM, so that's what really counts. What did you use for reading/writing the bin files? I've always done it via BDM/JTAG directly on the board, but pretty sure you did it over OBD2. I wasn't sure if that was even a thing at this point, but sounds like it is now.
Ford EEC-V Tuner Site
- Immo Off, PATS, Security only currently
- Bank Swapping
- View VIN and other info about the bin file
-
DethRattles
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:38 am
- cars: 2004 Grand am gt
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
ok, it'll take me a few minutes,, hold on.Gampy wrote:Please re-read my post!
-
DethRattles
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:38 am
- cars: 2004 Grand am gt
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
That one works too although it seems like my rpms hang from 1500 to 1000 then back up to 1200 when i give it a slight rev. I dont remember that happening with irondukes bin. I'll have to double check. And the codes for the pcm still won't clear on either yours or his. Is there anything else i should do? I want to make a bin where my coolant fan comes on at 190f So i'm going to have to research that. Did you both do this within tiny tuner(universal patcher) or was there some hex editing going on?Gampy wrote:Here now use this one ... It doesn't have the unnecessary changes both ironduke and I did.
All it has is exactly what kur4o stated,VTD present on car - removed check markVTD injector disable time - set to ZeroDisable DTC P1626Obviously report back so everyone knows the correct way or not!Disable DTC P1631
Thank you!
-Enjoy
Last edited by DethRattles on Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Gampy
- Posts: 2332
- Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
I used Universal Patcher, I suspect ironduke did as well.
That rpm hang issue has nothing to do with what we have done ... Nothing!
Unless it's part of the tune in the original gt bin.
Thank you for confirming what I did worked.
Edit;
I highly recommend you open Universal Patcher, then open a 'COPY' of the last bin I sent you, then select the tree branch that says 'all (558)' ... Scroll down a ways to the F's and you'll see the Fan stuff!
If I was you I would spend the next days, learning Universal Patcher and asking questions IN ONE THREAD!
-Enjoy
That rpm hang issue has nothing to do with what we have done ... Nothing!
Unless it's part of the tune in the original gt bin.
Thank you for confirming what I did worked.
Edit;
I highly recommend you open Universal Patcher, then open a 'COPY' of the last bin I sent you, then select the tree branch that says 'all (558)' ... Scroll down a ways to the F's and you'll see the Fan stuff!
If I was you I would spend the next days, learning Universal Patcher and asking questions IN ONE THREAD!
-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
-
DethRattles
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:38 am
- cars: 2004 Grand am gt
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
Thanks gampy, i've been doing research on the fans and looking at the tables already. I've learned how to compare bins also. I'm getting there slowly and will stick to one thread only. Thank you for all the help and discipline, i'm learning the rules. I hope someday you'll help me again when i need it. I wouldn't of got this far if it wasn't for you in the first place.Gampy wrote:I used Universal Patcher, I suspect ironduke did as well.
That rpm hang issue has nothing to do with what we have done ... Nothing!
Unless it's part of the tune in the original gt bin.
Thank you for confirming what I did worked.
Edit;
I highly recommend you open Universal Patcher, then open a 'COPY' of the last bin I sent you, then select the tree branch that says 'all (558)' ... Scroll down a ways to the F's and you'll see the Fan stuff!
If I was you I would spend the next days, learning Universal Patcher and asking questions IN ONE THREAD!
-Enjoy
-
DWS
- Posts: 250
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:04 am
- cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.
- Location: USA
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
I haven't done a ton with the fan stuff, but that is some of the code I was looking at in the assembly. The labeling in universal patcher was a little weird sometimes though. Basically one temp is for kicking the fan on, and the other temp is to kick it back off. You'd want kick on temp higher than the kick off temp. Aka if you set both exactly to 190F then it would cycle on and off real often right at the 190F line. Setting it to say 190F for kick on and 180F for kick off, once it hits 190, the fan kicks on, and stays on till 180F then turns off till it's back to 190F.
There's also other things the fan can kick on with, I don't remember what all was possible but I seem to remember the code being duplicated with different readings from chips like 3 spots in the code. I think speed (mph) was one of them or maybe it was RPM, something like that.
I agree with sticking with one thread, I rely on email notifications for popping in and replying. I don't check the forum often for new threads even though I'm probably not the best person for helping with tune related things (currently at least).
With the rev hang, could you throw the SE tune in the computer (with security off) and see if it does the same thing? If it doesn't hang then you know there's a difference in the two tunes, if it does it with both, it might be a small issue like a sticky IAC or throttle plate.
There's also other things the fan can kick on with, I don't remember what all was possible but I seem to remember the code being duplicated with different readings from chips like 3 spots in the code. I think speed (mph) was one of them or maybe it was RPM, something like that.
I agree with sticking with one thread, I rely on email notifications for popping in and replying. I don't check the forum often for new threads even though I'm probably not the best person for helping with tune related things (currently at least).
With the rev hang, could you throw the SE tune in the computer (with security off) and see if it does the same thing? If it doesn't hang then you know there's a difference in the two tunes, if it does it with both, it might be a small issue like a sticky IAC or throttle plate.
Ford EEC-V Tuner Site
- Immo Off, PATS, Security only currently
- Bank Swapping
- View VIN and other info about the bin file
-
DethRattles
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:38 am
- cars: 2004 Grand am gt
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
I'm figuring out the fan stuff, i sent you a pm with my fan bin file. Youre right about the mph,,mines set stock at around 74mph? the idle thing stopped, not sure what was up with that. thats all good.DWS wrote:I haven't done a ton with the fan stuff, but that is some of the code I was looking at in the assembly. The labeling in universal patcher was a little weird sometimes though. Basically one temp is for kicking the fan on, and the other temp is to kick it back off. You'd want kick on temp higher than the kick off temp. Aka if you set both exactly to 190F then it would cycle on and off real often right at the 190F line. Setting it to say 190F for kick on and 180F for kick off, once it hits 190, the fan kicks on, and stays on till 180F then turns off till it's back to 190F.
There's also other things the fan can kick on with, I don't remember what all was possible but I seem to remember the code being duplicated with different readings from chips like 3 spots in the code. I think speed (mph) was one of them or maybe it was RPM, something like that.
I agree with sticking with one thread, I rely on email notifications for popping in and replying. I don't check the forum often for new threads even though I'm probably not the best person for helping with tune related things (currently at least).
With the rev hang, could you throw the SE tune in the computer (with security off) and see if it does the same thing? If it doesn't hang then you know there's a difference in the two tunes, if it does it with both, it might be a small issue like a sticky IAC or throttle plate.
If anyone wants to see my fan bin i'm gonna add it and ask if fans should be turning on below 105c , i put it in Celsius because that's all i can choose from. I ran obdx pro live logging and my max temp was 105 and lowest 95 Celsius. I can kick these fans on with tech 2 scan tool but i've only seen then run through that. All my relays work(gm has 3) for the fans. I'm in michigan so it hasn't been hot and let the car run for a good ten minutes today and temps never went over 105c. I got a new temp sensor in and thermostat. I can't check the temp sensor or wiring because its buried. The car is quite a mess...but a fast mess.
I don't care if the fans come on at 100f,,i just want to see them working and i'll adjust from there by comparing files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
MudDuck514
- Posts: 402
- Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 pm
- cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E - Location: North TX, USA
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
The cooling fans SHOULD come on the the AC control set for "MAX AC" which is the left most position of the selector and blower speed switch set to one or higher.
MY GA does this but has the 2.4l I4, though the 2004 Alero I had previously had the 3400 V6.
Mike
MY GA does this but has the 2.4l I4, though the 2004 Alero I had previously had the 3400 V6.
Mike
-
DethRattles
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:38 am
- cars: 2004 Grand am gt
Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?
Fans will not kick on at all when ac button is lit and its on max..fans will kick on as directed by tec2 though through bidirectional.MudDuck514 wrote:The cooling fans SHOULD come on the the AC control set for "MAX AC" which is the left most position of the selector and blower speed switch set to one or higher.
MY GA does this but has the 2.4l I4, though the 2004 Alero I had previously had the 3400 V6.