My brother's 5L VR intermittently stops and often won't restart until you leave it a while and there is inconsistent with this so it's been hard to pinpoint what the cause is as it always starts working when you start diagnosing.
I finally got a code by the PCM (46, no ref pulses) and also for the first time managed to check the spark/fuel when it was faulting. There was no spark, didn't get as far as fuel as it started working again. So that give me a direction finally. It's either the dizzy pickup or the ignition module I reckon.
Poking and prodding the electrical system including the module has not changed any results, so I am erring towards the dizzy pickup. It is the original and had done some 400k.
Any input would be appreciated as I haven't touched dizzy engines in over a decade in regards to their ignition systems so I could be missing something but hopefully not.
Error 46 on VR 5L
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
Someone like you could probably repair the module if it fails.
I suggest a new hall effect sensor in the dissy.
This is the best I've come across and also happen to be well priced.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/hkz-101-hall- ... d/p/ZD1900
I suggest a new hall effect sensor in the dissy.
This is the best I've come across and also happen to be well priced.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/hkz-101-hall- ... d/p/ZD1900
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
Is that sensor a direct replacement?
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
Definately sounds like the trait of a failing hall sensor.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
I couldn't be bothered repairing it, maybe if we still had a local Jaycar I would. So my brother is just going to order a new pickup at our local mechanic.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
It's probably not possible with that car but when I get a suspect hall sensor I run it till it cuts out then pour cold water on it. If it starts bingo you found it.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
Ordered one from Rares. I'll see how it goes.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
I see complete distributors on eBay for around $90 but whoa what is the quality. Not an easy thing to change.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Error 46 on VR 5L
The complete pickup was 100 bucks so you'd think it's better quality than those cheap dizzys.