Error 46 on VR 5L

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Error 46 on VR 5L

Post by vlad01 »

Got the assembly from Rares. It's really nice quality and comes with everything needed. The sensor is a genuine HME but of a different design and model number, presumably a newer model.

The old assembly completely disintegration when removing it, so replacing just the hall sensor was not going to work.
Tony B.
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:49 pm
cars: 1984 Fiero INDY w/SD4 race engine
1987 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 with S/C

Re: Error 46 on VR 5L

Post by Tony B. »

Did this get resolved?
Did a new distributor solve the problem?
Inquiring minds want to know... ;)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Error 46 on VR 5L

Post by vlad01 »

Yes, new Rare spares unit was the go. I got just the sensor assembly with plate. I reused the old dizzy but it was some work to get it all apart and cleaned. It was very sad and crusty. I would 100% just put a whole new dizzy in but I can't confirm if the dizzies that Rares sell have the same genuine sensor and plate assembly as buying it separately, so please check with them before purchasing.

Also I had to reuse the old loom plug housing as the rares one must suit the newer castings as there was a notch in the rares plug and not one in the original, so without filing the rares notch off, it would have not fit this particular dizzy I chose to reuse the original in my case, but everything even mixed fit absolutely perfect! :thumbup: