cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Torana SS

Post by Dylan »

What ECU are you running?
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

I'd been holding out hope for one of VL400's ignition modules to handle multiple coils with $12P but not going to happen. So will be changing to a Link G4X to handle the multiple coils and get drive by wire and sequential injection as a bonus, hopefully it isn't a step backwards in any way. The Delco will live on in another project in future.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Nice, keep up the good work
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

The air temp sensor came with this little aluminium mounting block, presumably for welding onto an aluminium intake pipe. I don't have one of those though and it says to mount it directly before the throttle so I figured it may as well be in the throttle body itself. This means it doesn't have to be in the air filter base which keeps it relatively safe and everything can still be connected and run without the air cleaner housing installed.

Bored it out slightly and made a little tube insert so that it has a spigot which sticks out for locating and easier sealing.

Made a big hole in the downhill side of the new throttle body to match.

You can see the tube goes right through and seals against the o-ring of the sensor itself.

With the sensor installed.

The block is epoxied on just in case. I thought about welding a couple of tacks but want to avoid any damage to the throttle body.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

I can't seem to find any photos of what it looked like before, but some clown (me) had run the lines straight out of the brake master cylinder down to the chassis rail in a way that made it very awkward to get at the rear spark plugs on the driver side.

Finally got around to making some new ones that give a lot more clearance. In hindsight having the ports on the other side of the master cylinder would have been ideal, but like many parts on this car that's not just a standard unit, it has been internally modified, so no such thing as a straight swap.

Also removed the old ECU and added some rivet nuts as standoffs to mount the new ECU bracket. Broke my rivet nut tool and had to install the last two the hard way :-/

Still fits well enough up behind the glove box (which is remove in this photo). Hopefully this area will be a bit neater once I've finished the wiring changes.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Very nicely done. Those brake lines are bloody well done. Going to do something similar on the Commodore and tuck them right up next to the guard as they get in the way of doing spark plugs too.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Very nice job as usual. I'm intrigued. Where is the clutch master cylinder? And what are you using? From memory the factory mounted one at a hideous angle in the engine bay.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Probably an under dash unit. They are very popular these days.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Just a fyi from experience, the IAT should have as close to a 'static' temp as possible so the ecu can adjust correctly, always use the fastest thermistor you can get. Sometimes that makes them a frequent replacement. The open element and the pulses inside the intake manifold degrades it all. Even the MAF iat is corrupt, luckily most times it is upstream and with less pulses.
Still, bad ass thread, loving it :)
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Charlescrown wrote:Very nice job as usual. I'm intrigued. Where is the clutch master cylinder? And what are you using? From memory the factory mounted one at a hideous angle in the engine bay.
Factory was a combination of cable and 'rat trap' linkage setup. The popular aftermarket conversion is the one with a horrible angle, had that for years but it was never quite right and started causing leaks due to the poor pushrod angle.

The current setup is a custom pedal with Tilton cylinder under the dash. More info a few pages back:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4528&start=60#p91336
In-Tech wrote:Just a fyi from experience, the IAT should have as close to a 'static' temp as possible so the ecu can adjust correctly, always use the fastest thermistor you can get. Sometimes that makes them a frequent replacement.
Yes this is a Bosch 'fast response' sensor. Not sure how it will go being so extremely close to the throttle but will find out.