Having a problem after installing a tune.

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Maxxx
cars: VS Commodore ute and a VY Commodore ute

Having a problem after installing a tune.

Post by Maxxx »

Hello everyone. I burned The1's enhanced bin onto a chip I bought from him checked against the original enhanced bin to make sure it burned properly. I then installed it into the PCM turned on the key, the fans came on and it cranked over and didn't start. I tried installing the new chip by spinning it around 180 degrees and it wouldn't start. I put the original memcal back in and it still won't start. It will crank but not start, and now tunerpro will not connect. I have changed PCM's to one that has ran before and it won't work either. Does anyone have any idea what I have done wrong? The car is a 2000 VS ute the PCM is a 16199728.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Having a problem after installing a tune.

Post by antus »

Ok so checking https://pcmhacking.net/memcals.html we can see 16199728 is a VS ecotec auto, and we can see its a program $51 tune. This means the correct Enhanced is VS_V6_$51_Enhanced. This is a 128Kilobyte bin file.
Is this the bin file you burnt to the chip? Did it pass verification in the prgrammer? Did you write the bin file out of the zip or one you got or made somewhere/somehow else?
What chip is it? it must be the correct size. It probably was if The1 sent it to you. If you plugged it in upside down it is possible you damaged the chip as the power connections are diagonally opposite each other on the chip so ground would have been connected to +5v and vice versa. If you have another chip I'd suggest trying that and making sure you have the correct orientation. Fans on straight away means the computer is in limp mode and there is something wrong with the chip, its connections or its contents. When its in this state it wont communicate with tunerpro over ALDL.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Maxxx

Post by Maxxx »

Hi Antus, thank you for your reply. The bin I used is VS_$51_Enhanced_1.4b. The chip I burned is an SST39SF010A, and after it didn't work I put the original memcal back in the PCM and it still wouldn't start. If I spray starting fluid in the intake tube it starts momentarily, so I think it might be a VATS problem. Awhile back I was changing the fuel pump and shorted something and the fuel pump fuse blew. I changed the fuse and the car was doing the same "no start" deal where it cranks, fires on starting fluid but not run. When that happened I locked the car and left it sit over night and it started the next day. I found the lock and wait thing on Just Commodores site and it worked that time, but doesn't seem to work this time. So the car currently has the original memcal in it, the fuel pump is coming on, it cranks, starts with starting fluid but don't run.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Ok, if it doesnt start with the original memcal in it, then you are looking at a problem with the car, not the tune you put on it. You mentioned another pcm, so unless you disabled vats or relinked vats the other pcm might not be not starting because of vats. But I think if you have had blown fuses etc, you likely have a problem that has nothing to do with the computer at all. It's hard to help you on that from here, though. It sounds like it is something to do with power and the computer is not able to run properly. Check your main power feeds and ignition feeds first. Its hard to say where to go from there, though. Get it starting on the original memcal and pcm first, then move to the enhanced hardware. Good luck.

Fires on starting fluid gives you some information, but cranking spark is delivered by the module, so that only means that power and ignition to your ignition module and starter are ok. It doesn't really verify anything else.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Maxxx

Post by Maxxx »

Thanks Antus, I'll keep looking.
Maxxx

Post by Maxxx »

So today I checked every fuse in the car and none were blown, I put a noid on one of the injectors and there was no lighting when I cranked the car. So the injectors weren't getting earthed. I had already checked for voltage on the red wire of the injector. So that led me back to thinking it was a VATS issue. I checked the eprom with The1's enhanced bin on it by verifying it in the chip burner. I thought this bin would have VATS turned off. I installed it correctly this time in a spare PCM, plugged it into the harness and the car started.I let it run for about 30 seconds and turned it off. I then plugged the original PCM with the original memcal into the harness and the car started straight away. This car is my first experience with fuel injection and PCM/ECU's and I'm struggling to get my head around how it all works together. So now the car currently has the spare PCM with the enhanced bin in it so I can try to get it to log the wideband O2.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Good news! Thanks for letting us know.