Best ecu choice for VS?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Swifty
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:55 pm
cars: 1995 VS Wagon
2001 VX SS
Location: Perth, WA

Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by Swifty »

I've been thinking about changing to a vn auto 808 ecu in my S1 ecotec vs as I have a T5 conversion ready to go in and can't find a T5 harness and ecu anywhere. Am I right that a T5 would work fine on an auto vn ecu due to not having transmission control?

Is there much difference from a tuning/capability side between the vn and vs units? I would like to turbo the car eventually and tune with an nvrams.

Cheers guys
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by immortality »

I would go with the VR 424, it comes with high speed coms which the 808 doesn't
Swifty
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:55 pm
cars: 1995 VS Wagon
2001 VX SS
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by Swifty »

immortality wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:45 pm I would go with the VR 424, it comes with high speed coms which the 808 doesn't
From what I understand the 424 runs the trans side of things too right? Can you just disable that part of it or something
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by immortality »

Assuming V6?

You are aware the VS runs on a MAF based system and all the V6's before Ecotec run on MAP?

If you only want manual then just use 11p instead of 12p

The only thing I'm not sure about is the 424 speed sensor input if it can handle the T5 VSS? Someone else may comment.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by vlad01 »

I'd use the 808 for just that reason. T5 uses a hall sensor, 424 doesn't support this.

Most of my cars don't have a high speed ALDL enabled 808, I use a dedicated modded 808 for all my tuning and when done, burn an EEPROM and install back in with the stock 808. I wouldn't run an NVRAM for anything other than tuning due to reliability concerns. Yes, I've had mine randomly corrupt far from home, but luckily I had everything in the car to reprogram the NVRAM chip.

I've actually got a custom eco T5 to VN-VR 808 loom and upper plenum on FB for sale, it's pricey though as it's custom all brand new and made to high spec, fire proofing etc... Only thing that was not complete is the final main fuse box side plug and the heated O2 plug as I would have need the engine installed in the car to get the final lengths. The wiring is all there, just excess so it's to be trimmed back to the right length.

But in a VS, the cable is in the wrong spot and probably too short, an extension would sort that though.
Swifty
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:55 pm
cars: 1995 VS Wagon
2001 VX SS
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by Swifty »

vlad01 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:47 pm I'd use the 808 for just that reason. T5 uses a hall sensor, 424 doesn't support this.

Most of my cars don't have a high speed ALDL enabled 808, I use a dedicated modded 808 for all my tuning and when done, burn an EEPROM and install back in with the stock 808. I wouldn't run an NVRAM for anything other than tuning due to reliability concerns. Yes, I've had mine randomly corrupt far from home, but luckily I had everything in the car to reprogram the NVRAM chip.

I've actually got a custom eco T5 to VN-VR 808 loom and upper plenum on FB for sale, it's pricey though as it's custom all brand new and made to high spec, fire proofing etc... Only thing that was not complete is the final main fuse box side plug and the heated O2 plug as I would have need the engine installed in the car to get the final lengths. The wiring is all there, just excess so it's to be trimmed back to the right length.

But in a VS, the cable is in the wrong spot and probably too short, an extension would sort that though.
Yea that was what had me thinking of going that route... i couldn't figure out any way to overcome the speed sensor problem.
how much is "pricey"? i could be interested if you can post west side.
Swifty
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:55 pm
cars: 1995 VS Wagon
2001 VX SS
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by Swifty »

immortality wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:49 am Assuming V6?

You are aware the VS runs on a MAF based system and all the V6's before Ecotec run on MAP?

If you only want manual then just use 11p instead of 12p

The only thing I'm not sure about is the 424 speed sensor input if it can handle the T5 VSS? Someone else may comment.
You can still run an 808 and map on an ecotec cant you? i know they run 808s on ecotecs in a few speedway divisions over here.
I do have turbo dreams in the very distant future, but yes just wanting to do the t5 conversion for now till my other cars are done.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Best ecu choice for VS?

Post by vlad01 »

My asking price on fb market place is $500 but open to reasonable offers, only because of how expensive new connectors are, especially genuine Delphi ones.

I don't think I have seen any repro engine hardnesses here in Aus for common Holdens less than 1k, but I also have to consider it's a V6 and it's not entirely complete.

Yes, 808 will run them great and often much better due to the limitations of MAF, MAP is a lot more flexible and faster responding and way easier to tune.

Matter of fact is, the member Holden202 had already made a tune for eco to suit 808 more than 10 years ago and is the most popular base tune for stock eco for the 808. He even integrated the VS purge canister function into the tune and I have wired the purge solenoid into this harness.

I can include some of the materials and bits to finish it off much closer to complete as part of the deal, cloth tape, fibreglass fire proof sleeving for the heated o2 etc... Happy to post it as well.

A few pics of the harness and plenum.

The AC comp connector wasn't terminated yet, I think I was being fussy if I recall and was trying to source a quality black OEM connector to try avoid the cheap shit white Narva ones, I think that was also why the main fuse box plugs were on hold other than the getting the right length thing. But I have the proper terminals to be able to redo the genuine original 6 pin plug. The grey 8 pin is a Nissan connector that is readily available at efihardware.com.au

I think there was one or two colours that I had to substitute in the main fuse box side of the harness but I used appropriate colours/traces to make it obvious.

I haven't touched this harness in probably 10 years, so some of the details might be rusty but I am sure it's at a stage that it's easy to work out. I can mark what they are if you like.

The plenum is mint but sitting around it's filthy, so I'll wash it. The MAT sensor in it is just for test fit, so not sure it it worked or not and it's only hand tight. Same with the MAP hose barb, it's only hand tight and all of them need a thread sealer.

I used to have a NOS lower intake for VS that I had an adapter made to suit the VN-VR temp sensor, but I sold that years ago by itself as someone was desperate for that NOS intake and didn't want any of this stuff. But I am sure you can plug the existing hole on yours and drill and tap an M10 I think for the Bosch sensor on a flat spot so the washer will seal well, might even be able to do that on a brass plug that plugs the old hole and that way it makes it an adapter, similar so how I had one turned up by a local machine shop.

Anyway, let me know if you're keen and we can go from there.
image_67514113.JPG
image_67198465.JPG
image_67228929.JPG
image_67193345.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.