Ecotec V6 Dry sump

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by vlad01 »

very nice.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by vlad01 »

Do you still have the old oil pump drive by any chance? I'd like to have it for analysis as it's come to my attention that the rollmaster kits are raw steel for the drives and very soft, no treatment of any kind. Might be a non issue but handy to know and if it is a wear issue long term, there are heat treatment mobs, plenty of in Vic.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by Gareth »

Yes I do, it is fitted to the current motor as a spacer. There was no discernible wear present.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by vlad01 »

That is very interesting. I thought to myself that having a soft metal on the drive probably dampens chatter and would protect the oil pump at the cost of wear. But seems like the 6 spline drive isn't that susceptible to wear either way, unlike the 2 flats type drive which can chatter like crazy and do wear pretty badly with higher K engines.

Also the V6 doesn't have much torsional harmonics compared to say a V8 or even worse a straight 6 and are a non issue with a good harmonic damper fitted. Even examples like the Formula Holden that ran no damper and super light flywheels didn't have issues with pumps or valve train, although they did break the stock cranks as a result but that type of application is asking a lot from a stock cast crank in any engine.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by Holden202T »

sounds nice as!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by vlad01 »

Where did you get the oil filter adapter plate from if you don't mind me asking?

My nephew's 4Runner will likely need one when I sort the Dellow conversion kit, it has to have the engine move back 74mm and everything else is minor stuff to clear everything, but the filter will end up hitting the engine mount, so I tried to locate a US oil filter adapter that has the filter hanging out in front of the engine, but all are NLA and no 2nd hand ones anywhere so the only option now is one of those adapter plates and to remote mount a filter else where.

Also, any updates on the car?
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by Wade »

immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by immortality »

That's a trick dry sump system. I believe some of the supercar teams did the same thing with the pump hard mounted to the pan. And the bearing show they got a good supply of oil.