I'd try and flush as much out as possible.
I normally drain the pan, clean and fill, then I drop the cooler line after the cooler and aim that at a drain pan and pump out about 4 litres of fluid, that should get plenty out of the converter. Then seal it up and top it up.
4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
-
vscapricetim
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
- cars: vs caprice
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
Roger that
-
vscapricetim
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
- cars: vs caprice
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
Dont wanna start and argument but a mineral or synthetic in dex 3? Haha
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
Dex III should be a mineral based fluid. Dex 6 is the newer GM spec synthetic fluid for their fancy 6,7,8,10 speed transmissions.
The dex III synthetic equivalent is probably something like this (same Dextron IIIH specification as mineral DXIII)
https://penriteoil.com.au/products/atf-fs-full-syn
https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pd ... neral).pdf
https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pd ... 0Syn.).pdf
(I use Penrite products so I might be biased).
Ultimately, the 4L60e was designed to use DexIII fluid
The dex III synthetic equivalent is probably something like this (same Dextron IIIH specification as mineral DXIII)
https://penriteoil.com.au/products/atf-fs-full-syn
https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pd ... neral).pdf
https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pd ... 0Syn.).pdf
(I use Penrite products so I might be biased).
Ultimately, the 4L60e was designed to use DexIII fluid
-
vscapricetim
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
- cars: vs caprice
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
Thanks for that immortality
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
3rd gear in these transmissions really is a bit of a basket case. If you have time for a little light reading,
https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/6 ... confidence
https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/6 ... confidence
No problem. I've been helping someone else with this exact issue so it has reminded me to do more research.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
Possibly may fix it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
Not to expensive either. Just need to pull the trans out.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
If you are interested, this guy does a lot of video's explaining how transmissions work in great detail.
https://www.youtube.com/@SouthpawAutoworks
https://www.youtube.com/@SouthpawAutoworks
-
vscapricetim
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
- cars: vs caprice
Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift
Problem is I'm not even revving that high....