4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Wade »

This is a good read. I was sure I had a 4l60e workshop manual but must be in storage. There’ll come a time when you’ll need to ask yourself, how longs a piece of string. Same reason why I brought a 4l80e when doing the iron turbo ls build. Back in the day I got so tired of messing with 4l60e’s I gave up on them. Now if I want anything even remotely serious, ill put the 4l60e were it belongs 👌. For a weekend cruiser th400 are awesome and cheap. And I’ve personally ran them and know plenty of others that have too. They drive well. If your looking for more a tough daily the 80e’s tick the box. Best part about the 80e is its well documented that a standard 80e with only a shift kit have been known to still be reliable behind 1000hp ls’s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Gareth »

Second that, great book
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by immortality »

So where do you draw the line for a 4L60e?

I don't think a mild to moderate V8 or turbo V6 ( talking 400-450whp + range) should really push a 4L60e to the limit? We aren't talking about 1000hp builds here.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Wade »

I draw the line when the money spent fixing the 60e exceeds just replacing it with something better. Me personally I’d opt for a different box over beefing up a 60e. Been there done that lol. Hindsight is a great thing 👌
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by immortality »

LOL, if I'm swapping out a 4l60 than it's a manual box going in.

Nothing really with a 4l80e fitted here in NZ so not easy to get (or cheap), so not really a option for me.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Wade »

I think I got mine from ls speed shop. Not sure if there still around. But yeah I have imported stuff from the states and it’s not cheap. Better off saving money going through somewhere like ls speed shop. I learnt the hard way. Forgot to convert au over to US dollar, then the shipping and then the gotcha was when you spent over 1k you’ll be hit with import taxes as well. But yeah when I got my 80e I’m pretty sure cost less than a rebuilt 60e 👍
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by immortality »

I'm in NZ and it's even worse over here (NZ to US $).
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Wade »

Yeah it sucks doesn’t it
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by delcowizzid »

We do a lot of 4l80e stuff at work in the higher hp turbo ls cars .
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vscapricetim
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
cars: vs caprice

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by vscapricetim »

How much can a stock 4l80e handle?

Can they be controlled through the delco?