4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by delcowizzid »

4l80e is pretty much a t400 with overdrive and electronic control so far seen a few stock ones at 500rwkw not even sweating hahaha
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vscapricetim
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
cars: vs caprice

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by vscapricetim »

Well that would be nice wouldn't it....
vscapricetim
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
cars: vs caprice

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by vscapricetim »

Well, we've had a win!!!

I swapped the dex6 to Penrite dex3.

Made normal, performance and manual tables the same for both the shift points (matching the kickdown tables) and desired shift times.

2-3 shift now is back to how it should be!!! Played with the shift klm/hr and now shifts 1-2 and 2-3 at about 5300rpm each time. I did about 6 runs at wot and shifts were consistent, so I didn't try manually shifting 1-2-3.

Thanks everyone for your help :thumbup:
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by immortality »

Nice. Glad it worked out.
Deuce
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 am
cars: TUF355

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Deuce »

vscapricetim wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:42 pm Well, we've had a win!!!

I swapped the dex6 to Penrite dex3.

Made normal, performance and manual tables the same for both the shift points (matching the kickdown tables) and desired shift times.

2-3 shift now is back to how it should be!!! Played with the shift klm/hr and now shifts 1-2 and 2-3 at about 5300rpm each time. I did about 6 runs at wot and shifts were consistent, so I didn't try manually shifting 1-2-3.

Thanks everyone for your help :thumbup:
Great to hear mate. Well done.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Wade »

Awesome :punk: better than expensive repairs. These are a sensitive little thing. Not the right amount of fluid or type and they leave the chat 😂
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by Wade »

Makes you wonder why Holden only ever used the 60 in our cars. Probably saved $1 and got through warranty. But I remember having issues with 60’s even when they were relatively new back in the day. Pretty sure I seen documentation pretty much saying our pcm’s were meant for the 80. There’s even a flag or scaler for fwd trans in the vx-vy pcm. Which doesn’t surprise me as it’s all us based. Pretty sure the vn v6 was out of a fwd platform, that’s why the thermostat was where it was, and then Holden changed it after?
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by immortality »

Yup, a lot of the Buick platforms were FWD.
vscapricetim
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am
cars: vs caprice

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by vscapricetim »

So, I finally got the car out to the drags last night.

Now I have a shifting issue. I had the shifter in 2nd to do the burnout letting it shift 1-2, all good. Off the start line I had the shifter in 3rd, it hit the limiter in 1st and shifted pretty much straight to 3rd and must have been in trans limp mode as when I pulled up it was stuck in 3rd. Turn car off and on and it reset. Did this twice with the same result.

On the street the week before it didn't happen.

Ran a 13.05@107mph

Any thoughts??
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 4l60e 2-3 slipping shift

Post by immortality »

Did you try it just in Drive at all like you did out on the street?

Test it on the street in Drive and then in manual 3rd and see what it does.