Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
h4x0r
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by h4x0r »

Hi guys, I need some help trying to fix my tune. It kind of started surging rich/lean a few weeks back.

Its more noticeable at low rpm as you feel the car hesitate but once you get to higher rpm its less noticeable but the log shows it does it constantly throughout the whole drive.
surging.png
Fuel pressure is good at 43.5psi

I did a vacuum leak test and the only place air can leak is from the shaft that contacts the throttle body butterfly to the throttle position sensor (TPS). Not sure if that's normal or if there is a seal that can be replaced inside there.

I have been playing around with VE to see if something is out of whack but can't get it to smooth out no matter what i try.

Car is 304 v8 using 424 11p. Here is a copy of the log:
11p surging log.xdl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by vlad01 »

Looking at the graph, that looks like it's in closed loop fuelling mode. Did you check the flag to force open loop before doing your tuning?
h4x0r
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Re: Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by h4x0r »

Your right... I can see the narrowband o2 sensor going crazy up and down in the logs. I'm using a simulated narrowband from the spartan 3. I just unplugged it while i was driving and all the craziness disappeared.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by vlad01 »

I recognise that wave form a mile away. Glad it was just that. Make sure you check the flag to force open loop, if you just disconnect the input the ECU may still try to use it and mess with the tuning in some areas.

Once everything is done, you can set it all back and let the closed loop do it's thing as per factory.
h4x0r
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Re: Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by h4x0r »

Thanks very much!

Car purrs like a kitten now!

I'm assuming my VE was out so much that the narrowband o2 sensor was trying to overcorrect everything making things worse?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by vlad01 »

Nah, the narrow band and closed loop deliberately swing rich and lean so the cat can work correctly, but if you are tuning the VE with that all going on, the VE table will go out of whack. That's why it's important to turn off closed loop so that you can get the VE accurate, then when everything is done, turn it back on and the emission side can do it's job.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by delcowizzid »

And kf you want to run closed loop add a narrow band sensor just for closed loop the simulated output isn't great compared to a real narrow band sensor
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Help! Constant Wideband Surging

Post by vlad01 »

Some do the job ok, some don't. I found my spartan 2 did a reasonable job with the NB so I never bothered changing it out for am o2, but my spartan 1 I used some month or so ago was offset by a fair amount and the BLMs went quite rich just above and around idle.

Once I put a real o2 in there, it went back to the correct 0-ish BLMs that the WB dictated in the first place, so go figure.