VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Wade »

I also seen you’ve got a blow off valve. Some factory blow off valves leak and in most cases the aftermarket ones take too long to open negating there use anyway. Plus on an air flow meter equiped engine, if there not plumbed back you’ll get a rich spike when they open. This happens because the airflow has measured x amount of air entering and then the blow off valve releases that air, but all that extra fuel is still injected because the pcm doesnt know any better.
User avatar
Rhysk94
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
cars: VE SS-V
VY V6 Turbo “Ecojet”
FG XR6 Turbo
VY V6 Stocker Farm Hack
VY V6 Turbo Competition Drift Car
VY V6 L67 Seat Time Drift Car
N80 Toyota Hilux
VZ SS
Location: Perth

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Rhysk94 »

Yeah don't run that tune at all, will send a rod straight out the block. No need to edit any of the masa airflow or torque managaement crap. Just change the open loop afr table, injector multiplier table and the spark tables to suit.
Aim for 11.5-11.8 afr on boost, as for timing, you will figure that out or someone else will chime in, can't give away all the trade secrets.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Muncie »

To chime in on back of last comment you'll get it running pretty well on a road tune you will probably be leaving power on table and possibly not be reliable.... shit may break as you learn i could send you my BIN but my setup will be drastically different to yours eg: where mines happy yours might detonate its tits off or run lean and torch pistons.

Buy good injectors with an information sheet that saves you so much fucking around. I bought 850cc and ended with 1050cc as I just trusted the information i was given luckily it just ran rich.

Get it running right NA with your new injectors using a wideband eg air fuel close to where it was then when the turbo goes in it will run properly and you can then creep up on tune.

Gather data make changes one at a time verify they worked then repeat takes ages but you probably won't blow it up instantly.
Last edited by Muncie on Mon Nov 11, 2024 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Muncie »

Oh and don't get carried away and rip a skid just because it's running OK. That's the killer rookie move that'll have broken engines stacked behind your garage in no time.
User avatar
Rhysk94
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
cars: VE SS-V
VY V6 Turbo “Ecojet”
FG XR6 Turbo
VY V6 Stocker Farm Hack
VY V6 Turbo Competition Drift Car
VY V6 L67 Seat Time Drift Car
N80 Toyota Hilux
VZ SS
Location: Perth

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Rhysk94 »

Muncie wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2024 6:10 am Oh and don't get carried away and rip a skid just because it's running OK. That's the killer rookie move that'll have broken engines stacked behind your garage in no time.
His map he posted wlill destroy pistons in no time.
Be lucky if it keeps a rod in the block as well
LincTheDog
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2024 11:44 am
cars: soon to be turbo VY V6 Commodore

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by LincTheDog »

Thank you both Rhysk and Muncie for all your help.

Open loop - AFR table, what does that change, so I can learn what information I need to edit accordingly?
Same for the Injector multiplier table.

Muncie, I would be more than happy to see what your BIN looks like so I can learn what needs to be changed from stock and see what a good tune looks like.

Rhysk, half of the reason I have decided to turbo my VY is because I seen the videos you made about Ecojet, I think is is such a cool build that has just shows what you can do with an old commodore.

If I could get your opinion on getting a dyno tune done would that be a better option? I live about 6 hrs away from Perth and don't really want to spend the 2500 dollars I was quoted to get it done. but if that is the safer option for getting my car running reliably I might have to go with that.

thank you both again for taking the time to teach about tuning on cars.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Muncie »

Hey, I am by no means an expert and its truly brute force and ignorance my car seems to work well. i started with a Stock NA map and went from there though i run 100 octane pump fuel as we cant get E85 anymore in NZ. basically i've got a big straight road near my house and run it through the gears watching for knock where it showed any knock i either pulled timing or added fuel before repeating the process till it was clean. the trick was figuring out where you needed to do one or the other by using your logs. there's about 6 months of the above in my tune and my cars setup will be different to yours its a case by case basis.

Get a Wideband get it wired in and start seeing what your car does NA it'll help you once you bolt your turbo on. No one wants to give advice that might cause damage to someone else's car so Data is key gather it figure out what it means make changes one at a time and verify they worked. I still confuse myself at times 3 years on after first downloading Tuner pro.
User avatar
Rhysk94
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
cars: VE SS-V
VY V6 Turbo “Ecojet”
FG XR6 Turbo
VY V6 Stocker Farm Hack
VY V6 Turbo Competition Drift Car
VY V6 L67 Seat Time Drift Car
N80 Toyota Hilux
VZ SS
Location: Perth

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Rhysk94 »

LincTheDog wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2024 7:49 am Thank you both Rhysk and Muncie for all your help.

Open loop - AFR table, what does that change, so I can learn what information I need to edit accordingly?
Same for the Injector multiplier table.

Muncie, I would be more than happy to see what your BIN looks like so I can learn what needs to be changed from stock and see what a good tune looks like.

Rhysk, half of the reason I have decided to turbo my VY is because I seen the videos you made about Ecojet, I think is is such a cool build that has just shows what you can do with an old commodore.

If I could get your opinion on getting a dyno tune done would that be a better option? I live about 6 hrs away from Perth and don't really want to spend the 2500 dollars I was quoted to get it done. but if that is the safer option for getting my car running reliably I might have to go with that.

thank you both again for taking the time to teach about tuning on cars.
Hey mate, I tune cars in Perth.
RKGarage Performance & Electrical.
I charge significantly less than 50% of what you were quoted elsewhere!
LincTheDog
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2024 11:44 am
cars: soon to be turbo VY V6 Commodore

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by LincTheDog »

Hi all,

I have decided to get a dyno tune in the future.

For now, I am trying to tune the injectors to get the car running nicely, I have attached the bin I made (I completely restarted).
VY_V6_$060A_Enhanced_v0.9a.bin
I have tuned for Bosch Green Giants, and have done what I could find on here and other forums. If someone could please have a look and lmk if this will be all good to run that would be great.

Thanks again for all your help with this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: VY Commodore turbo V6 tune issues

Post by Muncie »

Hey Got your pm can you post specs for injectors? As its not just size that you need to change to get them running properly.