I'm Ross, the owner of the 240Z in question here and although I've been lurking for a while I haven't posted or acually done a Delco conversion until now.
Firstly I'd like to thank a few people as this whole build took a mere 28 days from Antus pointing at a heap of rags in my shed that contained the car to it sitting in my driveway running (although with clouds of smoke behind it) at 2am on track day.
Much kudos goes to Antus and Bart for all of their hard work both in researching problems, recommending parts and fabricating parts. Many hours of cutting, sawing, grinding, drilling and bolting then rebolting went into getting this all together. They both spent a lot of time researching the delco side of things too as it has been a STEEP learning curve for all of us.
Next, Jayme for being an all round legend. Someone who can look at a table or a 3D fuel map and make suggestions without seeing the car, hearing the car or driving the car. Fantastic.
Also, thanks Mick (zzzzzzzed) for providing the motor (and 280ZX parts car) it's just a pity about the turbo but I knew it was a risk when we took it on.
Lastly, the rest of you guys for the encouragement to keep at it because a couple of times I really thought it was an impossible task! Thanks for the posts and hints/tips on where we might be going wrong or what we've forgotten. Some of the posts were funny too (baby intercooler
Now, to a status update for the project. The next track day is the 30th of April, so we'll be well organised and hopefully well tuned by then. Currently we are running through the tuning with Jayme and Ant poring over the logs from my last drive. Something's not right but we'll track it down!
The alternator problem above has been solved. The alternator we were using was an externally regulated item and the car had no voltage regulator. It seems a previous owner had hacked it out of the loom so after some digging in the shed and plenty of wiring diag reading I found an item that fits. Unfortunately it's a Prince of Darkness model (Lucas) but with any luck it will keep pumping out 13.8V when we need it!
Now for it to be considered finished (when is any project truly finished?) we need to replace the headlights with H4's as one of them has blown and get the dash gauges working. It seems that something is not right there... Oh, and wire up the taco to the new ignition module.
Anyway, I've attached a couple of pics of the 280ZX parts car getting scrapped, the 240Z on the lawn after it's first drive (and wash) in 5 years, the engine bay, and a couple of other pics that help illustrate the car in it's current state.
Once again, thanks to everyone who has contributed
Cheers,
Ross.
