Reading material

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Reading material

Post by immortality »

Anything from David Vizard.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Reading material

Post by Gareth »

Haven’t got it with me but my all time greatest read (had it since I was young) would have to be Smokey Yunik’s power secrets. A must read for anyone into engine building and modifications. There is a picture of one of Smokey’s staff taking a 9inch grinder to the counter weights of a crankshaft. I did the same mod to my old 202 speedway engine, that alone won me plenty of trophies 👍
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Reading material

Post by Wade »

Pretty sure I’ve got the Smokey book somewhere. David books would be pretty good. Been watching him online for awhile 👌
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Reading material

Post by Wade »

This was another great read, and one I couldn’t do without. Gotta go through some old boxes and see what I still have. Bring back some memories
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brindo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Western Queensland

Re: Reading material

Post by brindo »

A while back I was loaned a book called The Mechanics Almanac. There were many editions, but this was something like an early to mid 1920s edition and in pristine condition.
The book discussed fuel injection and overhead cams all the way back then. The back section of the book was devoted to tips on how to hot rod your Model T Ford, talking about cam profiles and using denatured alcohol for cooling systems. It was an amazing read if you can get your hands on a copy.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Reading material

Post by Wade »

Nice 🤘
Deuce
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 am
cars: TUF355

Re: Reading material

Post by Deuce »

Wade wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2025 4:36 am A couple of other good books.
I've got that 4l60e book.
It's a bit tricky to follow sometimes, and I found it glossed over a skipped a few minor details which help with a novice.
But it gave me confidence and reference to tackle some work on my transmission.

David Vizards how to port cylinder heads was a good read for me (maybe 8 yrs ago, I soon after got him to sign it too)