Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
04colyZQ8
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 am
cars: 2004 Colorado 4.8L swap
86/90 Jimmy 6.5L diesel swap
80 Chevrolet Silverado TBI swap
88dodge W100 LPG conversion

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by 04colyZQ8 »

I have never had to desolder it chip clip works fine in place.

Interesting I wonder why the 7b/3b didn’t work for me probably the elm327 format. I can try again someday with a j2534. Or avt852.

However you need to program the chip anyway for mileage.
SickFinga
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:31 am

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by SickFinga »

04colyZQ8 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2025 3:01 am I have never had to desolder it chip clip works fine in place.
Weird. I tried reading it with a clip, tried it with a pogo probe, and it would return garbled data all the time. Maybe it's different from part number to part number.
04colyZQ8 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2025 3:01 am Interesting I wonder why the 7b/3b didn’t work for me probably the elm327 format. I can try again someday with a j2534. Or avt852.
Keep in mind, it only worked on two part numbers. Other part number from the same model year didn't not work and would always return "permission denied".
I was testing with the OBDLink MX+
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by ironduke »

04colyZQ8 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2025 3:01 am I have never had to desolder it chip clip works fine in place.

Interesting I wonder why the 7b/3b didn’t work for me probably the elm327 format. I can try again someday with a j2534. Or avt852.

However you need to program the chip anyway for mileage.
I wonder if it's like writing the vin in ecm's and tcm's where a code clear command prior is usually needed?
SickFinga
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:31 am

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by SickFinga »

Well, I just got another 15951589 BCM and I tried to change the VIN via command and the change wasn't allowed. I suspect it has something to do with the calibration version rather than a part number.

On P/N 15802491 I was able to change the VIN via the command.
04colyZQ8 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2025 3:01 am I have never had to desolder it chip clip works fine in place.

Interesting I wonder why the 7b/3b didn’t work for me probably the elm327 format. I can try again someday with a j2534. Or avt852.

However you need to program the chip anyway for mileage.
Which programmer did you use to read the chip in-circuit?
04colyZQ8
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 am
cars: 2004 Colorado 4.8L swap
86/90 Jimmy 6.5L diesel swap
80 Chevrolet Silverado TBI swap
88dodge W100 LPG conversion

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by 04colyZQ8 »

Ch341a
gmtech825
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by gmtech825 »

does anyone know if the the can based bcm's from this era in the other platforms use the same processors? like the malibu, corvettes etc, not the fujitsu based stuff. Anyone have a .bin from any of these already? they are not writable with sps, only setup with a tech2.
User avatar
theY4Kman
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2026 6:24 am
cars: 2008 Chevy Colorado L5 3.7L
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
Location: St Petersburg, FL

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by theY4Kman »

I've got a 2008 Colorado, which I mostly use for leisure drives at night, since I work from home all day and need some semblance of fresh air. I drive up and down the local Central Ave going 10mph avg, and it's my goal to remove the minimum speed requirements on the cruise control :P

I also have a Claude subscription and a dream. I've spent the last few weeks poring over the TMS370C16 reference with Claude to develop a working Ghidra processor spec. I can't say it's perfect, but it has been good enough for me to perform some detailed analysis (and when I say "me", I mean I discovered there are MCP servers for Ghidra, and Claude essentially performed the entire analysis). I'll attach the processor here as an extension .zip; at some point, I'll pull it out of my private "car-hacking" mess of a repo and push it to github.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zack4200
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:35 pm
cars: 1982 Chevy Chevette 3400 LA1 swapped
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by zack4200 »

Just a heads up - the bcm isn't involved in the cruise control at all on the Colorado, the minimum speed inhibit is controlled by the ecm.
https://charm.li/Chevrolet/2008/Colorad ... Operation/
T3klock
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
cars: Cobalt

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by T3klock »

gmtech825 wrote: Fri Nov 21, 2025 5:31 pm does anyone know if the the can based bcm's from this era in the other platforms use the same processors? like the malibu, corvettes etc, not the fujitsu based stuff. Anyone have a .bin from any of these already? they are not writable with sps, only setup with a tech2.
I have the BCM bin for a 2010 Cobalt which I believe uses the same BCM as the Malibu. It's the BCM that's not in SPS. You can only set it up via the Tech2 but it has to be "unlocked" which I haven't figured out how to do. I'll post it for ya...
gmtech825
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: Colorado / H3 BCM hacking

Post by gmtech825 »

maybe try changing the MEC value using 02 44 3b a0? just a shot in the dark idea, it might not let you though. make sure you unlock with the seed/key first