265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

vlad01 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 2:49 am Yeah the fuel got me once too, used some 15-20L trying to start and get my VP to idle for the first time, but it ran like crap, backfired and always flooded and fouled the plugs with each start. Turned out this is when I first found and wrote about the Min cranking BPW scalar and how it should be lowered for anyone running larger injectors, it completely overrides all cranking tables min values. I never though a bunch of failed starts would empty the whole tank but it did! Must have been dumping a shit ton of fuel into the cylinders! This all happened within a few hours on the same day, not over weeks or months.
Well that’s something to remember, the whole time the coil was stuffed the attempted starts must have dumped a ton of fuel into the cylinders
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Also found out today that the out of sight intercooler hose had become disconnected after moving the pipe to the throttle body so many times. Hooked that back up and wow, back to old times. With 6” tyres It just wants to break traction on every corner.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Fixed the vacuum leak, it was just a nut that needed tightening on the throttle body to manifold adaptor.
idling after vacuum leax fix.xdl
2nd run.xdl
I didn't get much speed up as I was just running around the block and I have already blown off two different fuel hoses so didn't want to push it on this run.

I installed the spare ECU with the burnt Bin and all good so good to know I have a back up.

On another note, what is a good operating temperature? I have set this current tune at 80 (fan off) to 85 degrees (fan on)

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vlad01 »

Depends on the thermostat. I run an 82 deg one, factory is 91. I set my fan on at 89 or there abouts so the 5c hysteresis is close to the the thermostat, but can never be less than the thermostats so that the fan doesn't get stuck on. Basically 2-3c off temp above the thermostat.

82 thermostat + 2 margin + 5 fan hysteresis = 89c fan setting.


When cruising on the road, there is ample air flow that the coolant reaches the lowest which is the thermostat value, so in my example the coolant will float around the 82 or slightly less, so therefore the fan won't come on while driving.

There is also a road speed scalar, this does a similar thing but for speed, above a certain speed the fan will not run, below that with a 5kmh hysteresis it can come on if the temps are high enough. Hope that makes sense.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

vlad01 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 6:31 am Depends on the thermostat. I run an 82 deg one, factory is 91. I set my fan on at 89 or there abouts so the 5c hysteresis is close to the the thermostat, but can never be less than the thermostats so that the fan doesn't get stuck on. Basically 2-3c off temp above the thermostat.

82 thermostat + 2 margin + 5 fan hysteresis = 89c fan setting.


When cruising on the road, there is ample air flow that the coolant reaches the lowest which is the thermostat value, so in my example the coolant will float around the 82 or slightly less, so therefore the fan won't come on while driving.

There is also a road speed scalar, this does a similar thing but for speed, above a certain speed the fan will not run, below that with a 5kmh hysteresis it can come on if the temps are high enough. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks yes that make total sense.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vlad01 »

Awesome :thumbup:

So good to see that you finally figured out all that other mess, we were all scratching our heads and I too thought it must be a multitude of issues, because you basically isolated each individually and it didn't solve the problem.

But now I bet your diagnostic skills just leveled up :punk:
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Holden202T »

good to see you got it sorted before you lost all your hair !! :driving:
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

Who says he's got any left. I know my brain now needs a holiday.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

vlad01 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 11:39 pm Awesome :thumbup:

So good to see that you finally figured out all that other mess, we were all scratching our heads and I too thought it must be a multitude of issues, because you basically isolated each individually and it didn't solve the problem.

But now I bet your diagnostic skills just leveled up :punk:
Cheers yes I never thought a brand new Coil would have been one of the problems especially when it was lighting up the spark tester light but running the tank dry of fuel…the regulator was showing pressure but it was air pressure generated by the pumping action. Should have known it wasn’t enough.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Holden202T wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2025 5:31 am good to see you got it sorted before you lost all your hair !! :driving:
I had nearly given up I tell you. It is hard to think of all the wasted time and money but you have to concentrate on the positives.