VBF versions 2.4+
-
bstddc5
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:18 pm
- cars: s550 mustang
VBF versions 2.4+
has anyone had luck figuring out what kind of encryption/compression is used on the newer vbf formats? short of disassembling IDA im running out of leads on where to find answers.
-
Gatecrasher
- Posts: 435
- Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
Got any examples? I've got a few 2.4 files but they're not encrypted or compressed. They're for 2017-ish.
-
bstddc5
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:18 pm
- cars: s550 mustang
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
here is a 2.4 version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Gatecrasher
- Posts: 435
- Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
Check this out.
I have a command line tool I've been using, and while it extracted your file, it looked like gibberish. Block sizes were weird and there was high entropy. Just like you said. Compressed and/or encrypted.
So I did a little digging and found this. https://github.com/smartgauges/qvbf
Direct link to exe: https://github.com/smartgauges/qvbf/raw ... 2/qvbf.exe
It's Russian, so take it with a grain of salt. But it seems to work. The program output explicitly says it uncompressed the block. The resulting block I extracted is a more normal size (16384 instead of 12979), and I can see plain text data in the boot block referencing SHA1 hashes.
I have a command line tool I've been using, and while it extracted your file, it looked like gibberish. Block sizes were weird and there was high entropy. Just like you said. Compressed and/or encrypted.
So I did a little digging and found this. https://github.com/smartgauges/qvbf
Direct link to exe: https://github.com/smartgauges/qvbf/raw ... 2/qvbf.exe
It's Russian, so take it with a grain of salt. But it seems to work. The program output explicitly says it uncompressed the block. The resulting block I extracted is a more normal size (16384 instead of 12979), and I can see plain text data in the boot block referencing SHA1 hashes.
-
bstddc5
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:18 pm
- cars: s550 mustang
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
GOOD FIND! it looks like there's lzss decompression going on. ill give it a look and compare against some files i already have for accuracy and report back.
-
bstddc5
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:18 pm
- cars: s550 mustang
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
good news it works and seems to match up. bad news the output format is terrible at best. trying to patch together 100+ blocks on some files sounds like a terrible time.
-
Gatecrasher
- Posts: 435
- Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
I thought doing 30 on my 2.7 EcoBoost was bad. 100 would be super annoying.
Check out the attachment. I used the Linux cat command to merge them. Took all of 5 minutes, including pre-processing the file list into a text string.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/103 ... nux-system
I'd recommend spot checking it to make sure I didn't get something out of order. I just used the default order that qvbf spit them out in, so that could be wrong too. I think the overall concept is sound though.
Check out the attachment. I used the Linux cat command to merge them. Took all of 5 minutes, including pre-processing the file list into a text string.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/103 ... nux-system
I'd recommend spot checking it to make sure I didn't get something out of order. I just used the default order that qvbf spit them out in, so that could be wrong too. I think the overall concept is sound though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10013
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
That's a good method, that's how I make stacked bins for other purposes too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
PelsonBM
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2025 3:05 pm
- cars: Ford Edge 2019
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
Yes there is LZSS compression in 2.4 files , I have program that can do data processing etc , I can post it here if I can . I'm struggling too with NT4T-14C026-CC file from IPC , trying to change text inside , but can't find CRC16 CITT inside file that have to be corrected before compressing back to VBF with a header . There is a routine control that won't let you pass the CRC , if it is not correct the module is bricked and have to be flashed with SBL and Calibration file
-
f4ordy
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:05 am
- Location: South Australia
Re: VBF versions 2.4+
Why not post the original file & the edited file? Someone might have a fix or instructions on what to doPelsonBM wrote: Thu Jan 29, 2026 11:16 pm Yes there is LZSS compression in 2.4 files , I have program that can do data processing etc , I can post it here if I can . I'm struggling too with NT4T-14C026-CC file from IPC , trying to change text inside , but can't find CRC16 CITT inside file that have to be corrected before compressing back to VBF with a header . There is a routine control that won't let you pass the CRC , if it is not correct the module is bricked and have to be flashed with SBL and Calibration file