Vy commodore

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Muncie wrote: Fri Mar 14, 2025 12:21 am Could be worse i posted pics on an NZ forum where I have my build thread and my certifier comments on what I did wrong for all to see.
Your welds looked awesome to me. If I could weld like that I’d be happy 🤘
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

I’ve actually had people put me down over the years because of the money I’ve spent on some of my builds. That’s why I’ve gone back to basics 😆. Not sure if you noticed but I’m using a hand grinder to cut my intercooler pipes knowing full well the gaps and fit needs to be perfect lol. But I’d like to prove you can do it all with the basics. I’ve got a shed with no power, dirt and a wall socket and an uneven driveway and using only basic easily affordable tools. So if anyone wants to hate let ‘em 😂🤣
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Another one of those times with this build that I’ve been cheap or given zero fucks 😂🤣 I’ve got spare parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vy commodore

Post by immortality »

Wade wrote: Fri Mar 14, 2025 5:49 am I’ve actually had people put me down over the years because of the money I’ve spent on some of my builds. That’s why I’ve gone back to basics 😆. Not sure if you noticed but I’m using a hand grinder to cut my intercooler pipes knowing full well the gaps and fit needs to be perfect lol. But I’d like to prove you can do it all with the basics. I’ve got a shed with no power, dirt and a wall socket and an uneven driveway and using only basic easily affordable tools. So if anyone wants to hate let ‘em 😂🤣
I've done that in the past but can't be arsed any more. Rebuilding diffs on the floor in the garage etc is getting harder with age and my injuries.

I'm moving half my garage around so I can build a work/welding bench atm.

Welding isn't hard, once you get the basics it's just practise. I learnt to use Arc at work and a bit of Mig although I always preferred the old arc welder. Once I get back into it I might graduate to Tig so I can make shit look pretty but mostly because I want to be able to do alloy at some stage.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

I feel ya mate. I get part way through doing spark plugs and my backs like nope. Or the blood sugars drop. Blood pressure is high and half the time I feel like I’m having a hearty. Was only last year I was diagnosed as a type 1. Found out when I ended up in icu for a couple weeks. Lost my eye sight, couldn’t walk or talk properly and ended up full of blood clots. And that’s only the start of what life’s kicked me with lately 😂. But I’m still here. I gets fucken frustrating though. In my head I’m still 20 👍
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

I got to play with tig and some alloy about 16 or so years ago. Definitely something I wish I had more time with. But yeah I’m a bit like you immortality. Started out with arc and then mig tig oxy and plasma. I reckon it took 5-10yrs just to figure out polarity, solid wire vs flux before I watched a YouTube video 😂.
User avatar
Muncie
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am
cars: Vy commodore, Turbo Ecotec v6
Location: New Zealand Waikato

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Muncie »

I'm glad I'm not only one who feels like they have been in a major car wreck while bending down to work in Engine bay.

Watching keenly for ideas as im no doubt going to do some revisions on mine.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Not much progress to really report on at the moment. Feel like I’m just going back over things I’ve already done. I mentioned previously that I used 40x40x5mm angle for the top intercooler bracket. But 50mm would have been better. 😂 so re doing that out of 50. Customised the steering cooler bracket and fitted the vz one. Had to re shape and bend those lines as it sits much further back now and was hitting on the caster arms. Used the old vy steering cooler lines to make up new hard lines for the trans cooler and obviously had to bend them into shape. Got the short radius bends I needed for the passenger side. Re done the pipe coming off the throttle body. Which I needed to do anyway. Needed to be stepped down so I can run it out at a higher angle, to give clearance for the turbo intake pipe. And I’ll need to bend one of the a/c lines lightly back outta the way. Also gave me the room needed to fit the oem otr. The mace cai box will need to be modified so I can run the passenger intercooler pipe along the chassis rail. So yeah just a bunch of fiddling and time consuming things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vy commodore

Post by immortality »

Muncie wrote: Sat Mar 15, 2025 7:21 pm I'm glad I'm not only one who feels like they have been in a major car wreck while bending down to work in Engine bay.

Watching keenly for ideas as im no doubt going to do some revisions on mine.
I'm 6'5" (I shrunk) so any time spent under a bonnet is a right PITA. I've taken to putting cars on ramps from SCA for even basic stuff so I'm not bending over as far working on stuff.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Actually looks like I’ve got easier access to the spark plugs now as well. Probably better access then when it’s n/a.