Yeah, the basic idea is just a GUI for Unicorn.
Not sure if the weather stuff came from the AI or if it's just part of the "hello world" that comes with a new Uno Platform project.
Adventures in vibe coding
-
NSFW
- Posts: 802
- Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
-
AngelMarc
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
- cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
If you want to make the PCB8SecSleeper wrote: Sun Jul 27, 2025 2:33 pm We suffer with the same problem, most of the time all available software is just short of what I need and I feel like I have to remake the whole thing from scratch to add little features. I can't seem to get away from this ideology. Haven't looked into vibe coding, is that Claude AI?
viewtopic.php?p=132802&sid=88d703a50bf4 ... a9#p132802
EOIT is already variable with RPM. If you have questions, ask there.
Don't stress specific units.
-
AngelMarc
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
- cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
That's what that means? Never looked it up. Thought it was something closer to Rust or something.NSFW wrote: Sun Jul 27, 2025 7:52 pm "Vibe coding" basically just refers to asking AI to write all of the code - and then using AI to fix whatever doesn't work, because it won't all work on the first try. Basically you do it all through the AI chat window, rather than editing the code yourself. At least, that's the goal. It's not the miracle that it claims to be, but it's also not hopeless. It's been an interesting process.
Didn't realize I vibe coded 90% of my ECU code lol
Don't stress specific units.
-
NSFW
- Posts: 802
- Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
The tricky thing about software is that complexity increases over time, and eventually you end up with code that's really hard to change because it's a house-of-cards where every little thing depends on every other little thing. It's a problem that tends to get worse and worse as you add code to a project. It's hard for really good people to manage, and AI does not seem great at managing that kind of complexity, at least not yet. Plus it tends to misunderstand things and make poor assumptions about unwritten details. But despite those constraints it can still do a lot a really cool stuff.
Anyway, the biggest problem with this emulator project right now appears to be in the Unicorn emulator itself, not the UI. I can reproduce the crash with minor changes to Unicorn's own sample code. Unfortunately it's super complicated. Gonna try asking the AI to solve it, and we'll see what happens...
Anyway, the biggest problem with this emulator project right now appears to be in the Unicorn emulator itself, not the UI. I can reproduce the crash with minor changes to Unicorn's own sample code. Unfortunately it's super complicated. Gonna try asking the AI to solve it, and we'll see what happens...
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
-
AngelMarc
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
- cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
Before my code got long, ChatGPT suggested something I wanted and didn't ask for, a rolling average. Found out later it was written wrong.
From my limited experience, it can do generic C and popular Arduino library code pretty good. What little I've tried with hardware specific niche features, didn't go well, like pulse period capture with a SAMD21.
From my limited experience, it can do generic C and popular Arduino library code pretty good. What little I've tried with hardware specific niche features, didn't go well, like pulse period capture with a SAMD21.
Don't stress specific units.
-
AngelMarc
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
- cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
I had better experience when I ran out of free time with the "better" GPT models.8SecSleeper wrote: Sun Jul 27, 2025 9:07 pm I've found ChatGPT can produce some great working code, then you try to ask it change little things and it breaks over and over and you basically have to take it from there. It's decent for getting a template together before you dive in. I guess I can try the Vibe coding process at some point, might wait for the next generation to come out based on how GPT4 is.
Last edited by AngelMarc on Sat Aug 09, 2025 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't stress specific units.
-
NSFW
- Posts: 802
- Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
GitHub Copilot is about $10/month and it gives access to Claude Sonnet 4 which is one of the better ones.
Not sure whether ChatGPT 5 is an option yet, I just haven't looked since it came out.
Not sure whether ChatGPT 5 is an option yet, I just haven't looked since it came out.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
-
ProfessWRX
- Posts: 183
- Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:33 pm
- cars: 04 Monte SSSC
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am - Location: AZ USA
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
I built a bin patch (with AI) that takes an IDA dif file and creates a patch app that applies/removes it to a bin. Extremely simple and easy.
I do all my hacks in IDA written in hex/assembly so it’s super simple for me.
Just finished custom code for my 7603 Tahoe to flash CEL at a KR threshold.
I do all my hacks in IDA written in hex/assembly so it’s super simple for me.
Just finished custom code for my 7603 Tahoe to flash CEL at a KR threshold.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Adventures in vibe coding
Ive found claude can drive idat (text mode) version very well, better than trying to use an MCP server as well.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396