Not the universal programmable ones. It was fully independent and could run a variety of CASs and trigger wheels. I had some time looking at one in person a number of years ago, you could tune it via TP iirc.
The one you are thinking of is the V6 only version he made later iirc, that indeed used the DFI module like this one.
I'm not really suggesting this one needs to be full on universal, even just a V6 compatible one that does away with the DFI would be awesome!
Ecotec LS Coil Driver
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
SilentBob
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am
- cars: VY
Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver
I'd probably just use a speeduino as an ignition only controller in that case, it'd be better than writing entirely new untested code. I might look into it and do a proof of concept in the future, I think it'd be pretty straight forward.vlad01 wrote: Sun Aug 31, 2025 12:43 am I'm not really suggesting this one needs to be full on universal, even just a V6 compatible one that does away with the DFI would be awesome!
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver
Yeah I think it would be good to have this option and it will also have the benefit of being repairable if something goes astray, which I'd imagine is not an option with the OEM DFI module given they are all integrated and potted in gel or resin.
Having the combo of a programmable replacement module and LS coils opens the doors to greater longevity in these cars as we won't be constrained to shit quality no name OEM style parts which as mentioned has already been an issue for some time and only going to get worse as the market for spares continues to shrink. And I am all for the community expanding the replacement options whilst adding modern features at the same time, it's win win!
Having the combo of a programmable replacement module and LS coils opens the doors to greater longevity in these cars as we won't be constrained to shit quality no name OEM style parts which as mentioned has already been an issue for some time and only going to get worse as the market for spares continues to shrink. And I am all for the community expanding the replacement options whilst adding modern features at the same time, it's win win!
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver
There was a few versions, there was this one which took the 3 ignition inputs from a DFI module (that normally feeds into the coil packs) and then it fires 6 LS coil outputs, it also had 2 step input and programmable 2 step rpm limit.
There was also a cut down version of this one that did the three inputs like above and then output them to 6 x LS coils, but no smarts in it.
then where was the full blown ignition module he made which as VLAD said, would accept multiple crank and cam trigger inputs, and then it had all sorts of programmability and could run up to 8 LS coil outputs....
There was also a cut down version of this one that did the three inputs like above and then output them to 6 x LS coils, but no smarts in it.
then where was the full blown ignition module he made which as VLAD said, would accept multiple crank and cam trigger inputs, and then it had all sorts of programmability and could run up to 8 LS coil outputs....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
JCSuperina
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:57 pm
- cars: VY Commodore Series 2
Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver
I got no clue if this topic is dead or not or maybe it moved but i can't seem to find anywhere to actually buy these coil drivers? Does anyone know if they are still being made or where to buy them?
-
Rhysk94
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
- cars: VE SS-V
VY V6 Turbo “Ecojet”
FG XR6 Turbo
VY V6 Stocker Farm Hack
VY V6 Turbo Competition Drift Car
VY V6 L67 Seat Time Drift Car
N80 Toyota Hilux
VZ SS - Location: Perth
Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver
They stopped being made years ago.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver
I have had one for years and put it on my turbo gemini a couple of months ago and it works well. Not a complicated design, just the right analog parts. Could probably start makeing them again with enough interest. Problem is you dont get any additional dwell control but its worth it anyway because you replace wasted spark with additional coils so all the energy from 1 coil goes to 1 plug instead of 2 plus its a stronger coil as well. There is more on the table again if you got an after market spark computer with dwell control but its the best simple option for mid range need.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
IanN
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2026 1:47 pm
- cars: Holden VY V6 Commodore
Mittsy Magna 03
180B SSS
Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver
I would like one if you make them again.