TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10013
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
have a look in the data list view if it thinks its auto or manual incase there is something happening with logic and on one of the monitors turn on TPS voltage (as opposed to TPS) as that should show you the raw input to see if there is voltage on the pin. If you can get a helper it'd be worth measuring voltage on the signal pin too. It does sound like the ground or power pins are being interrupted to the sensor and thats both directly testable as well as checking voltage from signal to ground.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
There not much to it in the VN-VP looms. It's just that single input to tell the tune, everything else is the same and you just leave the auto box plug not connected or delete it entirely for a manual conversion and you can extent the reverse light wires from the auto switch to manual one on the side of the box. But if you have a donor manual car, I just use the factory manual patch loom and swap that over, that does all the work for you and is 100% plug and play. But in a EFI conversion that requires the main dash loom as well, but it's easy to just trace though what you need and just run those wires by hand.
I have the VN-VP diagrams somewhere on my desktop and they show the man/auto connection for the ECU to know, so then you can just run the VSS signal and just do what ever it needs at the ECU plug to suit the manual.
When you get to VR onwards, then it gets more tricky as there are different ECUs, tunes and looms for each, not universal like VN-VP.
I have the VN-VP diagrams somewhere on my desktop and they show the man/auto connection for the ECU to know, so then you can just run the VSS signal and just do what ever it needs at the ECU plug to suit the manual.
When you get to VR onwards, then it gets more tricky as there are different ECUs, tunes and looms for each, not universal like VN-VP.
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
@Antus With the data list view do you mean the gauges? Also what should I be looking for determine what it's set on? I'll see if I can change the TPS to show volts instead of % cheers
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
@Vlad Yeah I'm basically just using the engine loom and have added power to it power it pretty basic setup. I do have part of a hacked body loom in my spare wires but its pretty hacked lol. I don't really want to hack into the actual cars wiring as it all seems to be working well and apart from the TPS cheers
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
@Antus ok so I switched the "Map switch tab out for the transmission tab which shows manual. I guess that that doesn't rule out a wiring issue.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10013
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
On this page here. It's Also where you check for malfs aka malfunctions aka DTCs aka CEL codes. Note that when electrical errors happen on that circuit it'll set a code then generate a fake TPS signal from RPM to keep the car drivable. Seeing that TPS signal on a monitor when the DTC is set does not mean you have a valid signal on the wire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
Ok got into that no issue will it store codes? I'm just looking on tuner pro not connected at the moment. I think the next steps are to test the TPS I've ordered a new just now but in the mean time I'll see if I can see any issues. Should the tps be reactive with ignition on engine not running? Cheers
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10013
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
yes it should. it will store codes and clear them when it sees valid input.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
Yeah if it doesn't have much vacuum you can get vacuum leak and tps failure codes and it will revert to an imaginary programmed tps value
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
I logged on and checked the ecu all seems normal. Will the tps show signal (if working correctly) with just the ignition on? Cheers