TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
Ok thank you I’ll rewrite it and start again cheers
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
Popped how for lunch reloaded the stacked bin then wrote over it (used the tune I was previously using probably a no go). I pulled out the IAT and it had teflon tape that wouldn’t have helped. Was hoping after that it’d sort it out but still have the same codes at a minimum it should’ve fixed the memcal error and the iat error 
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
If you have a std memcal try that.
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
Would do that but the car likely won’t run on the standard tune especially with larger injectors. Also I won’t be able to access the data in tuner pro. Cheers
Last edited by Asho88 on Fri Sep 05, 2025 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
My gut feeling is you have edited your bin file that you're writing to the memcal somehow, and the errors are real and you need to follow the holden procedures to test your wiring and fault find incorrectly wired connections or damaged connections/cable.
For the bin on the nvram, download a fresh copy from the official thread, to rule out damage to the file on your computer. Note that for a memcal error the corruption would be in the operating system part, not the calibration part. That part that is normally not touched during tuneing. The only way that would occur on the nvram is with the wrong XDF loaded that sends edit commands to the wrong addresses on the nvram. I wonder if right back at the start of this process when you did have the wrong XDFs and files if you saved a change back to the source file on your PC.
For the bin on the nvram, download a fresh copy from the official thread, to rule out damage to the file on your computer. Note that for a memcal error the corruption would be in the operating system part, not the calibration part. That part that is normally not touched during tuneing. The only way that would occur on the nvram is with the wrong XDF loaded that sends edit commands to the wrong addresses on the nvram. I wonder if right back at the start of this process when you did have the wrong XDFs and files if you saved a change back to the source file on your PC.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
It’s a standard loom but there is potential that something has pulled out or been squashed in the fitment process.
That’s some great info I’ll do as above and start fresh and see how I go cheers
That’s some great info I’ll do as above and start fresh and see how I go cheers
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
Ok so after re writing the chip multiple times wondering where I’m going wrong I decided to check the earths I’d bolted one down on the firewall where the ac used to be which probably wasn’t the best spot in the first place but convient.. So I rigged up the cable roughly to test it out all errors cleared except the TPS one so assuming it’s dead or possibly a wiring issue but I did verify the other day it was receiving 5v and it works when out of gear I’m gonna say it’s probably the actual sensor but won’t know till the new one arrives. Thanks so much for everyone’s input it’s really appreciated!
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
A standard memcal will still allow you to check for codes, but only via the CEL flash sequence. The old paper clip in the diagnostic plug trick.
If the code 51 or whatever than one was is still there, it's likely the ECU or a bad header on the ECU board. I had one years ago that would intermittently every several sec run fine then start backfiring and die and then come back to life with the CEL coming on and off at the same time. It had the memcal error but the memcals were fine, so the ECU was faulty with my guess being the CPU was crashing periodically every several seconds, resetting itself and then repeating that on a loop.
It still logged the error though so, using a stock memcal will help nail the issue down to the ECU or the memcal that you have your tune on.
I do believe that error 51 still logs without being run, as long as the ignition is switched on, so that avoids the running untuned issue.
This is because the ECU is able to do the checksum and if the OS also fails to execute anything meaningful the code is set as well from my understanding. Basically something akin to master boot record not found on the old windows XP back in the day.
I made a guide to all known error codes years ago because no one list was complete, so I consolidated all the info I could fine into one list here.
viewtopic.php?t=6443
It has the conditions and prerequisites for the error to be triggered described which is super useful to understanding the causes and diagnosing edge cases for said errors.
51 lists as checksum, Ant provides further detail for 12P vs factory.
If the code 51 or whatever than one was is still there, it's likely the ECU or a bad header on the ECU board. I had one years ago that would intermittently every several sec run fine then start backfiring and die and then come back to life with the CEL coming on and off at the same time. It had the memcal error but the memcals were fine, so the ECU was faulty with my guess being the CPU was crashing periodically every several seconds, resetting itself and then repeating that on a loop.
It still logged the error though so, using a stock memcal will help nail the issue down to the ECU or the memcal that you have your tune on.
I do believe that error 51 still logs without being run, as long as the ignition is switched on, so that avoids the running untuned issue.
This is because the ECU is able to do the checksum and if the OS also fails to execute anything meaningful the code is set as well from my understanding. Basically something akin to master boot record not found on the old windows XP back in the day.
I made a guide to all known error codes years ago because no one list was complete, so I consolidated all the info I could fine into one list here.
viewtopic.php?t=6443
It has the conditions and prerequisites for the error to be triggered described which is super useful to understanding the causes and diagnosing edge cases for said errors.
51 lists as checksum, Ant provides further detail for 12P vs factory.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
Just reload the stacked bin on the nvram in the programmer with the nvram out of the board.dont overwrite your tune afterwards.log it and see if the codes are gone and everything is reading correct.if it still has error 51 make sure you have a memcal plugged onto the board around the right way and set to m on the jumpers or no memcal and set to j
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Asho88
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
- cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.
Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.
I re wrote it a few times trying everything I could think of the last test was a fresh download of the stacked bin then opening a fresh XDF and ADX that didn’t resolve the issue so I moved onto the wiring I moved the ECU earth which obviously wasn’t working the best and it cleared all codes except the TPS one so my next step is a new TPS and if that doesn’t fix that I’ll look further into the loom. Cheers