Vt commodore speed sensor signal

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Oscar29
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2025 3:51 am
cars: Vs commodore
Vt commodore
1929 roadster pickup

Vt commodore speed sensor signal

Post by Oscar29 »

First time using this forum so I hope it's in the right spot ect!
Got a question about the vt commodore speed sensor signal. I'm trying to find information on how many pulses the speed sensor outputs for 1 tailshaft rotation in the square wave form. From resurch, I've seen that the pcm reads the vss signal and converts it to square wave for the speedometer and cruise to read. Is that correct? The reason I ask is I am trying to work out how many square wave pulses the cruise sees in one km so that I can replicate that in a street rod. Currently I have the cruise working in the car but it won't activate until doing 80kph and my thinking is that the cruise is only seeing half the pulses it normally gets so it thinks the car is only doing 40 so it won't activate like in a stock vt commodore. I have seen in all my surching that the vt uses a 4000 ppm sensor however I am yet to find if that pulse rate is changed by the pcm or just changed to a different signal form.
Rod is currently running a 8 pulse generator on the speedo cable output that has a gear ratio of 2.33 shaft rotations to 1 sensor rotation. It has 3.08 gears with 31x10.5x15 inch tires. From the maths that I have done it tells me that the sensor should be pulsing at 6879 times per 1 mile so if that is the case it's more the chance of hitting a speed Max in cruise (if that's a thing) if the cruise only sees 4000 pulses per 1 mile but that dosent seem to be the case. I also haven't found anything to do with the vss pulses per 1 km so converting everything from mile to km was becoming a pain so in km is better but I'll take any information at this point!
I'll add the one chart I did find that mentioned the pulse amount but the file the chart was on had no reference to the distance over what this amount was ment to match with. It was for a snapon scan tool for speedo calibration.
Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
pman92
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
Location: Castlemaine, Vic

Re: Vt commodore speed sensor signal

Post by pman92 »

The image you attached is "Pulse Per KM" which is what can be configured in the cluster.
The PCM also has a pulse per KM (PPK setting)
Oscar29
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2025 3:51 am
cars: Vs commodore
Vt commodore
1929 roadster pickup

Re: Vt commodore speed sensor signal

Post by Oscar29 »

Pman92
So if that is the PPK that the cluster reads depending on what it's corrected to. Is that also the same as what the cruise is receiving or is that receiving it independently direct from the PCM? For memory when I split the loom the wire went from PCM and split to both so I figure it would receive the same as what the cluster is set to receive.
May as well verify too the trans VSS sends it to the PCM as a different signal then gets converted to square wave pulse right?
What type of signal do the ABS wheel speed sensors send to the ABS module?
Sorry for the question spam, thanks!!
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vt commodore speed sensor signal

Post by delcowizzid »

It's either 32 or 40 teeth per turn of the driveshaft in 4l60e
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem