GM Can info & knowledge share

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
User avatar
Tre-Cool
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car
Location: Perth

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Tre-Cool »

yeah most of the auto cars seemed to use 199/19D for transmission torque related information once they got to the late 08 onwards transmissions.

Rev Matching doesnt come in until TCM 24249179 & you need a os ending with 4402 at least from memory.

I have a 2011 - 12639270 ecu talking to a 09 -24249179 in my vz. that ecu os would typically be matched with 24256025/24256125.

Once you map the can TX/RX options a whole new world opens up on what can be made to work.
mitava
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2025 6:24 pm
cars: Corvette C6 A6 SC
Location: Finland

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by mitava »

Tre-Cool wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 8:25 am Once you map the can TX/RX options a whole new world opens up on what can be made to work.
This would be very nice but not there yet with my binary exploring skills :)

I have the rev matching. It came 2008 Corvette in 24243170 os.
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Camino_77 »

gmtech825 wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2025 2:28 pm Does anyone have a GM chassis high speed expansion DBC file? Let me know what it'll take to get if so. I'm trying to fix a customers vehicle and TAC is useless, And there' no GDS data to help either.
Good Evening,

I've been looking for DBC files for my project. I did run across a couple of files that you might be looking for from, I Believe OpenGarages.

Due to being dbc's, I kept getting an error trying to upload them. Therefore, I rar'd them.

Bill
GM DBC's.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Gatecrasher
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Gatecrasher »

Those are the files from the Comma AI OpenDBC repository. The low speed 1818125 file has been accurate for everything I've messed with. The others have some good info but seem to be incomplete DIY research.

https://github.com/commaai/opendbc/tree ... pendbc/dbc
gmtech825
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by gmtech825 »

Thanks, I have the open DBC files but they are not complete and did not help.
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Camino_77 »

Evening,

I've beat my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I don't have a programming background, but I'm trying to learn.

I understand how the CAN-Bus works as far as sending signals back and forth using packets. To understand what is actually being sent, a .dbc file is used to unravel or decode each message. I'm going to use the CAN-Bus system out of a 2012 Cad CTS-V. So far I have not been able to find a DBC for this particular vehicle. I do have GM Global A's, Cad CT6's, & OBDII DBC files. Tre-Cool stated that he was using the GMW3119 to create his own. I've looked at multiple videos concerning creating dbc's. There was one that helped by showing how to add TPMS. Without any references, I'm still up the creek. After all of my reading and re-reading, I'm thinking that my reference material is locked up in the GMW's. I just don't know which ones as there are different platforms. ODII, Global A and Global B. I know that some of the control modules were used in multi-platform vehicles.

So, which GMW's do I need???

Do I need to start from Scratch or can I start with one of the files that I already have???

Last but not Least, Is there anything I'm missing???

Thanks
Bill
User avatar
Gatecrasher
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Gatecrasher »

GMW3119 should be correct for your car. The CTS didn't go to Global-A until the 2014 redesign, so you can mostly ignore all of that. Global-A would be GMW8762 through 8781.

Keep in mind that 3119 is the 'platform to powertrain interface'. It has all the corporate standard signals for communicating between the powertrain and the rest of the car. But it doesn't have the entire car, it doesn't have anything that doesn't cross that boundary, and it doesn't have anything that might be unique to that vehicle or platform. So it might be missing signals that occur only between the engine and transmission, for example. Interior convenience and entertainment systems won't be in there. If it has stuff like mag ride or an eLSD or lane keeping that probably won't be in there.

It's an extremely useful document, but it's far from complete. On the bright side, you probably don't need all of it or even most of it.

If you lay out some of the specifics of what you're trying to accomplish I'm sure there are people here who can help you get there.
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Camino_77 »

Thanks Gatecrasher for the information.

Therefore, I'm going to plan to start with the OBDII dbc file. If this is not correct, just let me know

Thanks again,
Bill
User avatar
Gatecrasher
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Gatecrasher »

OBD2 is just going to get you basic diagnostics. I'm not even sure what an OBD2 DBC would even have in it. It's not going to tell you anything about normal communication between modules.
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: GM Can info & knowledge share

Post by Camino_77 »

I guess I should have explained a litter better.

I'll start with the OBDII file and go through and add the missing info. Does that sound better???