Just a quick question regarding editing EEPROM contents on the '445 Flash PCM.
Can you safely do it, or is there something about it that will brick the PCM if you do?
EG. I've flashed a VX $BD DMTY PCM I've flashed with the VY $060 Enhanced code.
It still identifies as a DMTY and has the old VIN number in it.
It's not really a big deal, but if I do a full bin read afterwards (to get a copy of the enhanced code with the EEPROM contents at 0xE00), and then edit the VIN number and write it back (and let it correct the checksum), is it safe to do so?
I assume it probably would be, but thought I would ask rather than try just incase I brick something.
And I can't find anything on here searching old posts.
VX VY Flash PCM EEPROM editing
-
pman92
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
- Location: Castlemaine, Vic
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10013
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VX VY Flash PCM EEPROM editing
it would depend what you changed but yes it is possible. its part of the checksum thats why it has to run twice because that is part of the checksum update. its not really an eeprom, its emulated like the later ones and is just part of the flash image.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Chr0m3
- Posts: 91
- Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 am
- cars: 2004 V6 VY Series 2
Re: VX VY Flash PCM EEPROM editing
Any VU-VY flash PCM can have any full bin written to it (as long as it's from another VU-VY flash PCM) without issue, might checksum twice like antus said.
That mismatch is just a warning, I've never had any issues.
Typically what I do is just copy the first 0x1000 and replace it via a hex editor in the new bin and then write it, OSE flash tool will checksum it and it'll be all good as well as this keeps vin, security link, bank learning etc all in tact.
That mismatch is just a warning, I've never had any issues.
Typically what I do is just copy the first 0x1000 and replace it via a hex editor in the new bin and then write it, OSE flash tool will checksum it and it'll be all good as well as this keeps vin, security link, bank learning etc all in tact.
