Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
Ok it’s been awhile since I’ve messed with the early commodores. From memory, the later model vt’s use a double tap flare as apposed to the single tap flare on the earlier model brake hard lines? Can’t remember if the vt brake line needed to be modded for the cir-clip or if they were just different length? Also was the offset of the hubs different or was it just the centre bore of the rotors? Been way too long for me to remember all the ins/outs of doing the job.
-
pman92
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
- Location: Castlemaine, Vic
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
The VS I did years ago I got front brake hoses made up to suit, can't remember exactly why though. VS ones dont work and VT ones don't work.
The VT calipers and VT rotors go straight on a VS hub. The only thing you need is the center bore adaptor. I machined some up.
The VT booster and master is also easy enough to use. From memory it bolts straight in. I just had to change the location of the hole for the brake pedal pin on the booster. Can't remember if I cut and shortened or cut and lengthened the booster rod.
The VT calipers and VT rotors go straight on a VS hub. The only thing you need is the center bore adaptor. I machined some up.
The VT booster and master is also easy enough to use. From memory it bolts straight in. I just had to change the location of the hole for the brake pedal pin on the booster. Can't remember if I cut and shortened or cut and lengthened the booster rod.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
Safebrake do braided brake line kits to suit the various brake conversions.
VT use a larger centre bore (on the rotors) but on a early girl you will need to get the conversion hubs so they should be the right size to suit the VT style rotor.
These days the VE conversions seems to be the go, the VE uses slightly smaller diameter pistons.
I can't remember what the brake lines are on the early girls but the later models use the bubble flare, when I fitted a VT style master on our old VN I cut and re-flared the brake lines but there are also adaptors available to make it a bolt in conversion.
VT use a larger centre bore (on the rotors) but on a early girl you will need to get the conversion hubs so they should be the right size to suit the VT style rotor.
These days the VE conversions seems to be the go, the VE uses slightly smaller diameter pistons.
I can't remember what the brake lines are on the early girls but the later models use the bubble flare, when I fitted a VT style master on our old VN I cut and re-flared the brake lines but there are also adaptors available to make it a bolt in conversion.
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
Yeah the adaptors for the master are pretty cheap. And the radius of the hard line bends at the master are pretty tight, so don’t think I want to be taking the chances with the flaring tool. Maybe at the other end (calipers) side I might get away with it. Just can’t remember if using the vt brake lines on that end gave issues? Adapter hubs I’m thinking rod shop. The rest of the parts I’ve already got laying around from a vx/vy ss.
-
Deuce
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 am
- cars: TUF355
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
I feel like the 2nd gen flexible line does not fit to the VT caliper, and the VT flexi line isn't long enough to reach on the 2nd gen chassis.pman92 wrote: Mon Nov 17, 2025 8:46 pm The VS I did years ago I got front brake hoses made up to suit, can't remember exactly why though. VS ones dont work and VT ones don't work.
The VT calipers and VT rotors go straight on a VS hub. The only thing you need is the center bore adaptor. I machined some up.
The VT booster and master is also easy enough to use. From memory it bolts straight in. I just had to change the location of the hole for the brake pedal pin on the booster. Can't remember if I cut and shortened or cut and lengthened the booster rod.
-
pman92
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
- Location: Castlemaine, Vic
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
That sounds correct. From what I remember the problem was it not being long enough. But it's been ages so can't say for sure nowDeuce wrote: Tue Nov 18, 2025 9:32 amI feel like the 2nd gen flexible line does not fit to the VT caliper, and the VT flexi line isn't long enough to reach on the 2nd gen chassis.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
That's why you grab a set of Safebrakes conversion hoses to suit.
https://safebrake.com.au/17-vb-vc-vh-vk-vl-vn
https://safebrake.com.au/17-vb-vc-vh-vk-vl-vn
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
Best people I found by far are Hoppers stoppers. They will make up the conversion hoses on the spot if they don't already carry them.
They also supply new calipers (new not refurb) and their hubs are certified to be able to be engineered and meet DOTR as well, that goes with all their stuff. The prices are actually good too.
Beware of CRS stuff, their parts for the majority of what they make is how ya doing on the best of days and as far as I'm aware, most of it can't be engineered.
Personally I have not used or seen safebrake in person, but the amount of complaints is concerning, leaks or not properly fitting is the two most common ones I see online. Hoppers make and test the hoses in house and often on demand. I prefer the OEM rubber hoses since they have better give and have a track record for longevity and they make them, where other places only do the braided hoses which are better performing but I feel they are hard and have little ability to twist with steering, so I am reluctant to use them for anything daily.
VT swap in on my list too, for the VP. I have the hoses and front rotors and that's it atm. I will be ordering the hubs and calipers soonish. And then Forza pads since they are making them again, I sold all my other VT conversion bits including the intima pads I got special ordered not long ago and starting over with more OEM orientated upgrade apart for the pads, no one wants oem pads lol, well most of the time.
Most say go the VT master and booster route. But Hoppers said it depends what you want, I like a fast and further traveling pedal that has no pressure build up to dissipate like modern boosters tend to have, so easy effort, for better modulation ability with the foot since there is no ABS, so they recommended based on my pedal feel preferences that the stock booster will be better for me. They say most people prefer the shorter travel, firmer depressing VT and newer boosters.
A lot of the sponginess in the older type boosters can be overcome by fitting a solid bracket to the tower and MC, I found by videoing the master/booster that is is actually the booster that flexes like a bellow, so yes a fatter bracket will reduce this, but I feel like something else might fatigue and crack elsewhere later on instead of the booster doing what it naturally dose. I don't mind it actually. I feel like it gives me good foot control and feedback as I said. Hard pedals give me the shits, especially with touchy brakes, becomes like an on/off switch and the modern boosters have slow depression from what I presume is a higher servo ratio if that's the right wording, so it adds delay when you press the pedal. So it's an annoying combo, hard slow pedal which is touchy once it actually goes down to the bottom of the travel. Majority of newer cars I have driven feel like that to me. I like strong brakes, but I don't like the hard and slow pedal that most new/newer cars have. But I find that I am in the minority with that preference.
They also supply new calipers (new not refurb) and their hubs are certified to be able to be engineered and meet DOTR as well, that goes with all their stuff. The prices are actually good too.
Beware of CRS stuff, their parts for the majority of what they make is how ya doing on the best of days and as far as I'm aware, most of it can't be engineered.
Personally I have not used or seen safebrake in person, but the amount of complaints is concerning, leaks or not properly fitting is the two most common ones I see online. Hoppers make and test the hoses in house and often on demand. I prefer the OEM rubber hoses since they have better give and have a track record for longevity and they make them, where other places only do the braided hoses which are better performing but I feel they are hard and have little ability to twist with steering, so I am reluctant to use them for anything daily.
VT swap in on my list too, for the VP. I have the hoses and front rotors and that's it atm. I will be ordering the hubs and calipers soonish. And then Forza pads since they are making them again, I sold all my other VT conversion bits including the intima pads I got special ordered not long ago and starting over with more OEM orientated upgrade apart for the pads, no one wants oem pads lol, well most of the time.
Most say go the VT master and booster route. But Hoppers said it depends what you want, I like a fast and further traveling pedal that has no pressure build up to dissipate like modern boosters tend to have, so easy effort, for better modulation ability with the foot since there is no ABS, so they recommended based on my pedal feel preferences that the stock booster will be better for me. They say most people prefer the shorter travel, firmer depressing VT and newer boosters.
A lot of the sponginess in the older type boosters can be overcome by fitting a solid bracket to the tower and MC, I found by videoing the master/booster that is is actually the booster that flexes like a bellow, so yes a fatter bracket will reduce this, but I feel like something else might fatigue and crack elsewhere later on instead of the booster doing what it naturally dose. I don't mind it actually. I feel like it gives me good foot control and feedback as I said. Hard pedals give me the shits, especially with touchy brakes, becomes like an on/off switch and the modern boosters have slow depression from what I presume is a higher servo ratio if that's the right wording, so it adds delay when you press the pedal. So it's an annoying combo, hard slow pedal which is touchy once it actually goes down to the bottom of the travel. Majority of newer cars I have driven feel like that to me. I like strong brakes, but I don't like the hard and slow pedal that most new/newer cars have. But I find that I am in the minority with that preference.
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
It’s all for my brothers vq caprice I built up 5-10yrs ago. Was a factory v8, but it just doesn’t like to pull up. All the brakes on it were new. It’s almost like driving a big cammed v8 with stock converter. It does stop, but not without applying a fair bit of pressure.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl
I remember the first time i drove my VS Senator with stock brakes after getting around in a VS with modified brakes, it really shows how average brakes were before anything VT. It's not so bad in a manual car but in a auto (unless you modify the trans behaviour) it really puts a lot more wear and tear on the brakes.
But I've also found the state of tune can have a big influence on the brakes, poor vacuum can really upset brakes too.
But I've also found the state of tune can have a big influence on the brakes, poor vacuum can really upset brakes too.