Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers?

Post by vlad01 »

Tre-Cool wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:33 am im guessing they were just heating up the pipe, then whacking it with a flat steel bar or wood?

I'll probably have to do something similar with my corvette headers that i got since they are made for lhd. I've not got around to even test fitting them yet because i suspect i'll need belt them into shape to clearance the steering shaft.

I guess if u just need to squash a pipe down to make some clearance u could heat up with an oxy then use a bench vice.

I might have to try this with a broad propane torch and knock a piece of similar pipe with a flat block of steel or try other methods to gauge the feasibility in the quality and look I am looking for.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by vlad01 »

I forgot to update this thread, I forgot I even started it, my memory is so shit these days I can't even recall why I open new tabs 99% of the time, :lol: :wall: but I digress.


What I came up with is moulding the header or pipe into a cardboard box with a mixture of 50% pure cement powder and 50% ready to use mortar mix. Both can be had for about 10 bucks a bag from the hardware store.


The pipe is marked in direction and upright position for the pressing. The pipe is then painted in any old aerosol paint to help it from corrosion attach of the highly caustic environment that is wet concrete/motar, and also a means of non sticking the cement when it sets, so a sort of mould release, it also allows the mould to break around naturally as the lot is pressed by many tons of pressure. Note that a clear top coat spray can works best as you can go over the entire section and not lose the marks drawn earlier, otherwise you need to avoid the marks using opaque paint.


Mixing the mixture should be done as dry as possible while still uniformly wet, so like a uniform dough consistency. This allows the setting to be even stronger than a more normal level of wetness. The strength was the key. I went through many iterations of resins and filler, then tried mortar but still fell short of it crumbling before I got any meaningful pressing. The strength of the mould prevents pipe distortions and bending out of line. It allows all complex shapes.


After the pipe is placed in a carefully cut out box, you aim to pre-level the pipe to have the exact spot you want to press in a hydraulic press to be flat from the first go, this is important as you can't pack or shim the block of mortar afterward as the bottom needs to fully supported and flat.


Once that is level, you pack in the mixture to just under where you want to squash and indent your pipe, give it a little jiggle to make sure all the air comes out. Leave it to set for 3 days to a week. Week works best I found. I also found a clamp and blocks of wood to help hold the box walls together from slumping due to the wetness of the cardboard. Another tip is for multi pipes like in my example where the motar will go in between, I sealed off those gaps with the sellys wall plaster ready to use filler, it's very light and fluffy and will comes out easily after everything is done and will save trying to get rock hard morar out and damaging the metal in the process. You could use blutac or something else that can do the job. I had that and it worked well.



You need to get some tissue paper or cloth and block the end of the pip some distance past the mould. Then slowly add packing or construction sand and using a yellow tounge, a rod or wooden dowel depending if you have bends to go around or just straight, pack the sand as hard as you can, slightly damp sand works better. If dry sand is uses, you can pre-pack it before moulding which makes it all easier to handle, but damp sand will cause pitting and rust left that long. So damp sand is worth the trouble of packing the already set in mortar pipe as much as a pain it is. Once it is packed back past the mould a distance the other way, plug that end with tissue or a cloth to stop any sand loosening up and falling out.



On your press, you need a big eff off slab of steel as the base to support the block of motar and pipe.
Then you get your pressing tool, a long enough solid square bar or block of steel, or even a round solid slug with the base of it as the pressing surface, line it up with your marks and slowly pump the press down. Adjust if needed, then when you feel it's right, press it down to the level of desire and normally around that 5mm of so the pressure builds up quickly and the mould starts to break down the guts of the pipe lengths, the sides towards the surface break aways and it's ready. You will find the following results.


My recommendations is a soft mild to low carbon steel. Pacemaker in my case are already that nice soft steel that is easy to form and bend without springiness. Most pipe by the meter from an exhaust shop and even SS pipes are springy as shit and struggle with good form and the moulds just struggle to keep from breaking before a decent indentation is formed due to how much pressure is needed. It's not impossible though and many of my practice pieces were from that springy steel, it's just harder work with bit less clean results, but none the less they are as OEM looking as can be anyway. Once using the soft steel, the results are awesome!




IMG_8210.jpg
IMG_8211.jpg
IMG_8212.jpg
IMG_8213.jpg
IMG_8254.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vlad01 on Mon Sep 29, 2025 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by vlad01 »

Results speak for themselves! :thumbup:

This is just one spot. I have done one large bit on the Y pipe and yet to do one for the small single header section on the driver side rear port. I was waiting for an opportunity to go to the city and on the way get a longer steel block from my machinist to be able to do that particular spot.

Once that is done and the last bit of welding finished, it's off to HPC for the ceramic coating. I will be sure to post up the final fitment and finish.

IMG_8255.jpg
IMG_8257.jpg
IMG_8260.jpg
IMG_8264.jpg
IMG_8265.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by vlad01 »

Last one with this method. This time I used damp sand and it worked even better. Like I mentioned in the posts above, I cast this one without sand knowing it's wet and would rust the inside of the pipe. The cement set for 1 week, so not a great idea for the inside to be wet.

Because this pressing was so long, I had to press it a few times in two spots along the pipe, I marked it so I had a good reference for lining it up, but once the first press was down, there is a lip formed so I could follow that more accurately going along.


The results are really nice :thumbup:

To get the sand out, I had to wash it out with a garden hose slowly. Took a lot more effort to get out that I thought.

IMG_9330.jpg
IMG_9331.jpg
IMG_9332.jpg
IMG_9339.jpg
IMG_9340.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by vlad01 »

The very last pressing was not a pressing given it was in a crappy spot and only a minor one, so the effort and setup to do it like this wasn't something I wanted to do. I did want to try heating and bashing after I found that after pipe manipulation and strain relief via some propane torches showed me that the metal got pretty soft.


So this left header is too close for my liking for heat reasons to the firewall on this particular set.

I used a pen that was the right size as a "feeler gauge" and then painted up the side of it with a marker, this was rubbed between the header and the spot on the firewall, transferring some marker to the point on the header as the starting point.


I used these tools of the trade, heated it up until red, block of steel and a steel mallet. Got a small impression, fitted the header to the car, checked, remarked where I needed to adjust, rinse and repeat. The first one or two flat spots were off a bit, by the 3rd I had it right, slowly back and forth between bashing it on a spare engine to installing it in the car. I got this result which is pretty good considering the method, a lot nicer than anything I found on the net regarding this classical clearance method.

Happy with the room gained. I was only able to get my pinky nail end in, now my whole pointer fits comfortably between.
IMG_9471.jpg
IMG_9475.jpg
IMG_9476.jpg
IMG_9478.jpg

One of the other things I did which is not the scope of this thread but helps understand the project.

Due to clearance issues with the clutch fork cover and the joining flange here. I had that deleted which now clears it all fine. I still can't install the cover with the header in place, but I can install the header with the cover in place. So it might just be a procedure to loosen and drop the right header a bit out of the way if I was to replace or need to remove/install the cover in the future, but sure beats not being able to even have a cover as the flange was inside the cover effectively, negative room.

Part of having this deleted was having to heat the small piece of pipe installed on a dummy head and slowly strain and move things around until the flanges were perfectly centered and the flange on the head was turned and located correctly. Both were way out, I though maybe my pressing efforts distorted the pipe causing it to be all out of whack, but I happen to have a spare set of pacemakers, I swapped the pipe over and found it was out of whack exactly the same, so no, it wasn't me distorting it, Pacemaker just don't jig them up as well as they should be.

To have the bottom flange fit, the singular flange on the head is rotated clockwise by some 5 or more deg, and the bottom slotted hole almost misses the bolt and hole, only held on by the very edge. With no washer, it would miss the flange entirely.

After lots of heating and back and forth, I got it really good and fixed the issue to within less than a mm. So very happy with all the results of all the mods to make these damn headers and exhaust actually fit with little compromise.

The are on the way to HPC as I write this, so they will be protected from rust which they do very fast I might add, have much needed thermal management and look nice for years to come. The former two are the most important reasons for me. I'll post that up when I get them back.
IMG_9457.jpg
IMG_9513.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by vlad01 »

Results speak for themselves.

The one in the Y pipe doesn't show in the photos so I didn't bother uploading that one. You get the ideal anyway.

IMG_9657.JPG
IMG_9656.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by Wade »

Looks pretty good 👍 I just used some heat and a planishing hammer when I clearance the headers on the 300zx ls1. And a sledgehammer for the trans tunnel 😂
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by vlad01 »

I did the heat and bashing method on the one in the last pic as per the reasons in the posts above. It's not quite as nice but very decent none the less. Not as easy either due to the back and forth nature of the method, but hey it all worked out great in the end and gives me confidence for future projects where custom exhausts will be a requirement.

Hopefully having this all documented on the net will help others out as I sure couldn't find anything out there in my research when I needed it.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by Charlescrown »

I really question is it all worth the effort? How many exara watts will the engine make and are other cheaper less stressful methods maybe a better way to go.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Neat/pro looking way to clearance headers? - DIY Solution solved!.

Post by Wade »

It depends on what your after I guess. I think I went through like 3 different sets of extractors/headers before getting a set to fit. No one make anything for my particular setup. Loj in USA make some but left hand drive. That’s why I started 3D printing a header pipe snap kit. All the oem cast manifolds didn’t work and would hit on the steering. Things like trans tunnels, you can use the hood ol sledgehammer. Otherwise you’ll need a new custom tunnel. But then trying to fit all the factory interior trim may become a problem. I like the way vlad done it. I like the oem kinda look to things 👌