Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by Wade »

Anyone know what inches of water the 5 litres generally run at? Hooked the magnehelic up and was pegged at 50 which is as high as my gauge goes.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by Wade »

Never mind, brain fart moment. Converted kpa over to inches of water
Deuce
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 am
cars: TUF355

Re: Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by Deuce »

Wade wrote: Tue Dec 09, 2025 1:05 am Never mind, brain fart moment. Converted kpa over to inches of water
Very good.
I was going to question weather inches of water changes based on the internal diameter of the tube filled with water to measure the inches.
Therefore someone else's measurements would be irrelevant to you unless they were using the same machine to run tests.
You can buy/make a calibration plate to help standardize your measurements.
brindo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Western Queensland

Re: Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by brindo »

Inches of water or inches of mercury?
Anything over 17” Hg at idle is good but completely dependant on the camshaft.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by vlad01 »

Whats that in Kpa absolute?

I'd say anything from 20-40Kpa is pretty typical for a healthy OEM engine of this era but depends on exact cam and other config. I can't recall what the V8 ones are, but the V6 is normally around 20-30 Kpa iirc, the v8 one shouldn't be too different.


If it's high like 40+ then a tune issue, other problems or the cam is bigger than stock, but I recall you said it was stock?
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by Wade »

I tried using this but no good
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by Wade »

Then ended up using this. Leaned idle afr’s out and then adjusted timing and ended up getting 20 in-hg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Holden 304 manifold vacuum inches of water

Post by vlad01 »

I see that one has the Kpa in negative instead of absolute, so you'd have to invert the scale if comparing to TP if you decide to use Kpa.

20" in Hg looks to be about 30Kpa absolute, so looks all good to me. :thumbup: