NVRAM ISSUES

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Vrturbo
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2025 9:43 am
cars: Vr commodore ute v6 turbo
Wb holden ute
Hz one tonner

NVRAM ISSUES

Post by Vrturbo »

Hi everyone im very new to this stuff but ive got a manual vr commodore using a 305 ecu and a NVram it was all going ok and i could connect and change things in the tune until the car stalled and wouldnt start again. Tuner pro got disconnected and wouldnt reconnect and my NVram is dead as in dosent run the fuel pump or start the engine, blue light goes off as soon as the key is turned off. I checked the rw wire on the ecu and it had come disconnected, i soldered it back on and hooked everything back up but still no change. What should be my next step?
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by antus »

when rw wire comes off reads become writes so it corrupts the nvram and trashes the operating system. You need to get a chip programmer like a t48 from ebay or a gq4x4 and program a stacked bin back on to the chip in a programmer. get that from the 12p zip file on this site. Be careful when you remove and reinstall the chip. Its really easy to bend the pins when you remove it or re-install it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Vrturbo
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2025 9:43 am
cars: Vr commodore ute v6 turbo
Wb holden ute
Hz one tonner

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by Vrturbo »

Thanks mate ill give that a shot
Vrturbo
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2025 9:43 am
cars: Vr commodore ute v6 turbo
Wb holden ute
Hz one tonner

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by Vrturbo »

I also had the issue of when the car isnt running the wideband gauge on the dash in tunerpro seems to be connected to the tps as in it moves with the accelerator pedal and the spark advance gauge is maxed out the whole time even when the car was running. I havent got a wideband sensor hooked up yet but i am planning to and have got one there with a spartan controller as well as my stock narrowband which pin on the ecu should i wire my wideband into to get it to read properly thanks
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by antus »

the 12p wiring which includes the extra function pins is in a text file also in the 12p zip file. not sure why your data would look like that. wrong adx logging definition maybe?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Vrturbo
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2025 9:43 am
cars: Vr commodore ute v6 turbo
Wb holden ute
Hz one tonner

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by Vrturbo »

Hey mate I’ve programmed my nvram chip with the stacked bin and it all seemed to go well then I put it in the car and got nothing no crank no fuel pump and won’t connect to tunerpro but the light on the nvram stays on for a couple seconds after I turn the car off so I’m not sure what the issue is if I just burnt the bin wrong maybe or an issue with my actual ecu? I put the stock memcal in and same thing no crank no fuel pump so I’m not entirely sure. The battery voltage was at 12.2 so a bit low but atleast my fuel pump should work?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by vlad01 »

It could be the ECU, if you put the original memcal back in, and jump the ALDL plug to get into diagnostic mode, check if you get codes from the CEL, the fan should also come on. If that happens, the ECU is probably ok, if nothing happens or something weird then the ECU is likely.

I had an ECU randomly die 2 years ago, it wasn't able to even run the CEL, no codes at all, no fan on or limp mode. Ran the engine extremely roughly for only a sec or two at the most with lots of backfiring maybe 50% of the times I tried to start it, other times it just cranked with no firing. I checked another good memcal and it was same issue, new ECU, problem was solved. Checked the ECU for dry joints, cracked or broken traces, it was all perfect so one of the components much have just died, probably CPU related as there was no evidence of it booting by the lack of CEL and limp mode.
Vrturbo
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2025 9:43 am
cars: Vr commodore ute v6 turbo
Wb holden ute
Hz one tonner

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by Vrturbo »

I’ve jumped the aldl plug and gotten code 12 which means everything is all good as far as I know I also tried using an old 808 ecu I had sitting around but I put my vr memcal in it and still same thing so the only thing I can think of is a vats issue but my security light isn’t on at all it’s just permanently off which it didn’t used to do so I’m not sure about that I also have my thermos on switch so can’t tell you if they’re coming on so I’m pretty stumped
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by antus »

flashing codes and light on for a couple of seconds means 12p is running. Check your comms/aldl/pc setup. See if delco ose flashtool can talk to it with the right configuration.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Vrturbo
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2025 9:43 am
cars: Vr commodore ute v6 turbo
Wb holden ute
Hz one tonner

Re: NVRAM ISSUES

Post by Vrturbo »

I’ve got tunerpro to connect now with no issues I’m not sure why it just decided to connect now though and also found that my fuel pump fuse was blown that could of just been due to putting a larger fuel pump in though but still no fuel pump working so not sure on that and I’ve just disabled vats through tunerpro so that shouldn’t be giving me dramas but still no crank or fuel pump