TP5, OSE180, NVRAM, ALDL Cable - VT 304 V8

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Icey83
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2025 12:00 pm
cars: LH Torana & VT SS (5.0)

TP5, OSE180, NVRAM, ALDL Cable - VT 304 V8

Post by Icey83 »

Hello All,

I have ordered a NV Chip and ALDL Cable from Gareth but unfortunately the adaptor is still on its way which is leaving me a bit like a kid in a candy shop without any pocket money.... :lol: I am sure it will get here soon, but it might not be until after Christmas.

I am sorry to start another thread on this subject as I have noted a few but none having the answer I am looking for.

Below is the FT232 USB adaptor from Jaycar with some really bad soldering for testing before deciding to buy a proper cable.
jaycarft232.jpg
I was able to get some data on TunerPro, but it was not alot more than flickering lights and garbage data.
Now that the NV chip has arrived and I am impatient. I am considering rehashing this adaptor again.

Question:
- I would like to bridge the diode across TX and Rx before the 1kO resistor to limit any current and protect the PCM. Will this be ok?

Other than that, has anyone else ever played around with these adaptors?
Are there any settings, tips or tricks I should be mindful of?

I am going to shorten the leads between adaptor and PCM to a minimum as I am pretty sure this might have been a cause for the bad data previously. (as well as my soldering :lol: )
The PCM also has a BCM emulator inline from Mr Module. Is there anything I need to be mindful of with this on the BUS?

Fingers crossed I can get it working enough for Christmas Holiday fun while I wait for the proper cable to arrive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Icey83 on Sun Jan 25, 2026 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
:comp:
User avatar
pman92
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
Location: Castlemaine, Vic

Re: FT232RL USB Adaptor

Post by pman92 »

Icey83 wrote: Mon Dec 22, 2025 6:26 am The PCM also has a BCM emulator inline from Mr Module. Is there anything I need to be mindful of with this on the BUS?
If it's a VT onwards you'll need to treat it as if it's in an actual VT, eg use the correct ADX. If it's an older version of the BCM simulator that doesn't support disable chatter commands, you might still have trouble.
The easy and guaranteed option would be to temporarily disconnect the BCM simulator while you're tuning it.

Make sure you get your USB adaptor cable working reliably before try to write anything to the NVRAM (or even before removing the RW jumper).
If it fails half way through you might brick it and need a programmer to reload the software on the NVRAM
Icey83
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2025 12:00 pm
cars: LH Torana & VT SS (5.0)

Re: FT232RL USB Adaptor

Post by Icey83 »

Thanks Pman,
By your icon I’d say you might have sold it to me :)

There were instructions regarding anti chatter but I just set it to VT mode. (It is a VT PCM and loom).

Noted about the link. I will try and get stable coms on the existing MEMCAL before I take the risk. I don’t know if VATS were disabled in the preloaded NV chip, I’ll have to check.

Thankyou
:comp:
Icey83
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2025 12:00 pm
cars: LH Torana & VT SS (5.0)

Re: TP5, OSE180, NVRAM, ALDL Cable - VT 304 V8

Post by Icey83 »

Changed the topic name of this one to not start another. Good news all the official gear to begin playing with this VT PCM has arrived.

Bad news… which someone might be able to help with.

With the NV Ram installed (without write jumpers) and motor/ignition on, I can get TP5 to “Find Hardware” and download data from NV Ram, etc.

But, I can seem to work out how to make “live data” work…. Have I missed something really simple?

OSE preferences all look correct. I read somewhere I just have to be patient and keep mashing the DA icon..?

Anyway, if anyone has a quick tip, please let me know. :)
:comp:
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: TP5, OSE180, NVRAM, ALDL Cable - VT 304 V8

Post by antus »

Later models can be hard to get the silence chatter command to work properly. OSEPlugin does not send any kind of keep alive. So you connect and start logging straight away so that the logging keeps the bus silent. If that is too difficult/annoying then you can disconnect the BCM which is the bus master and that will silence the bus too. Or you can put a switch on the ALDL line in to the BCM so you can flick a switch to silence it when your logging.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Icey83
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2025 12:00 pm
cars: LH Torana & VT SS (5.0)

Re: TP5, OSE180, NVRAM, ALDL Cable - VT 304 V8

Post by Icey83 »

Thank you Antus, I have a BCM emulator wired in for this one mainly to help with VATS on the original Memcal. I suppose I can simply unplug that now for the time being and test.
:comp: