Hi All,
Do we have any Windows 11 experts here?
Yesterday the missus laptop (ASUS Zenbook) wifi stopped working after the laptop went to sleep. I tried all the basics (reboot, reset, new wifi drivers etc) but nothing has worked.
After a lot of trial and error I've found the WLAN autoconfig wasn't running and when you try to start it it comes up with a "1068 error - dependency service or group failed to start."
After more digging I've now discovered that Windows Connection Manager isn't running and it gives me the same 1068 error. my research get me this,
https://revertservice.com/10/wcmsvc/
From my research apparently this runs all the stuff in the background and makes everything play nice.
I'm starting to get way out of my depth on this shit, I'm really a noob with windows 11
Any advice is appreciated.
ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
I dont know the answer, but if its not a hardware failure uninstall all the asus drivers, and install the latest drivers from the chip manufacturer for that specific card. Also keep an eye out for anything that looks like malware that might have failed to get in to the network layer to sniff passwords, crypto keys, anything like that. Failed malware could also cause it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
Yeah, I've tried installing new drivers but it made no difference.
Device manager shows the device is running correctly but when you go into the windows network window it shows the wifi adaptor is disabled and it won't allow you to enable it.
I've tried to replace the .dll file but it won't let me even when I run explorer as a administrator.
Device manager shows the device is running correctly but when you go into the windows network window it shows the wifi adaptor is disabled and it won't allow you to enable it.
I've tried to replace the .dll file but it won't let me even when I run explorer as a administrator.
-
VTXU8
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 am
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
By any chance does your laptop have a tiny manual wifi on/off switch located somewhere near usb ports etc? Sometimes you can accidentally switch it off as I have done.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
I can't find anything. These newish laptops have very few peripheral ports. really not much on them.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
Its a good point, airplane mode will kill wifi. Maybe fn plus an f key for airplane or wifi will toggle it on, or a switch somewhere.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
That was my first go-to to try and wake up the wifi adaptor.
-
rjdrew1986
- Posts: 84
- Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
Perhaps try using the Windows retore feature to a previous date when the WIFI was known to have been working?
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... nt=gws-wiz
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... nt=gws-wiz
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
Ha! this is the sort of shit that made me switch to linux a few weeks ago. My son's gaming laptop did the same thing since new along the audio devices being removed from existence, but a hard reboot usually fixed that. In the end connected via the LAN port and it's had less issues.
Also on my laptop, I lost my stuff after an update but to my horror I found that MS removed the restore function on 11, that was my last straw.
I've had to reinstall 11 twice in the last 18 months because of things like this. First total failure was when I lost explorer permanently after the other laptop kept crashing whenever my cursor brushed past the "cast to device" option on the right click menu when trying to right click on files. Then the last time I did it, it nuked the whole OS, so I had to format the drive and start over as none of the reinstall or recovery options worked. Windows since 8 had been a death spiral for MS.
Also on my laptop, I lost my stuff after an update but to my horror I found that MS removed the restore function on 11, that was my last straw.
I've had to reinstall 11 twice in the last 18 months because of things like this. First total failure was when I lost explorer permanently after the other laptop kept crashing whenever my cursor brushed past the "cast to device" option on the right click menu when trying to right click on files. Then the last time I did it, it nuked the whole OS, so I had to format the drive and start over as none of the reinstall or recovery options worked. Windows since 8 had been a death spiral for MS.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: ASUS laptop Win11 lost wifi
My next step is to back up a whole lot of stuff we don't want to loose, then more drastic steps can be undertaken. I've not looked at it today yet.