Hi all, new to the forum, thanks for letting me join. I am presently doing the $12pV111 and delco 7165ecm swap on my two pontiac fiero's that have a custom 3.4 litre with a v5 vortech supercharger set up. One is a stock 3 speed auto and the other is a getrag 5 speed manual. I received the initial $12p files from a local forum member who did this same ecm swamp a few years back. So far I have installed the 7165 ecm (same as 808) and I have a memcal from a 3.1 GM vehicle installed with a moates g1 adaptor https://shop.moates.net/products/g1-mem ... er-tpi-etc and a NVRAM DS1230Y-70+-ND (32kb) chip. I was able to program the NVRAM using a moates APU1 burner and Tunerpro RT by selecting 27SF512 chip option and editing the addressing to 00800 location to be able to burn the program to the chip. I installed it and the car fired right up. My issue now is I cannot for the life of me get the moates apu1 to connect to the ecm. it stays stuck in connecting mode, andd I have it in bypass mode (no 10k resistor). I do have the OSE Plugin V1.8 set correctly in the turnerpro preferences for data logging. I do not have the wire soldered on the backside of the ecm yet as I have read that I should not do that till I can get tunerpro RT to connect with the ecm. any help is greatly appreciated. I also need someone to confirm that I edited the $12P bin correctly to accommodate bosch 42lbs injectors for one of the tunes as one of my cars has more performance mods to it and the bin file I received is set up for bosch 30lbs injectors. I also wanted to confirm if the $12P needs a particular setting for auto transmission or not (I attempted to edit the file for auto). here are the files I have.
And this is the thread from our local fiero group.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119333-7.html
$12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
-
jjd2296
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2026 10:09 pm
- cars: I have 2 custom fiero GTs with 3.4 v6 and v 5 superchargers. in the middle of swapping in 1227165 ecm with the $12P hacked code.
$12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
Welcome aboard!
Firstly, the hardware you have is not NVRAM hardware. The NVRAM board is this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3612
It functions fundamentally differently and you should not be using oseplugin or adding a write wire for that solution. You would be using moats instructions and APU1 config in tunerpro.
Secondly check if the '165 has the SXR chip that provides ALDL. If it does not you'll need an interface like this to get USB viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3613 . If it has that chip then a standard ALDL interface will work. Check your ADX configuration and make sure it is configured for echo. That should get you going.
Always keep in mind the differences between APU-1 and the NVRAM solution, which essentially turns the memcal in to a battery backed RAM and the 12P code is updated to add extra commands so the processor knows it can just write to it like RAM. In your case the ECM can't write to it, so you will not be using that functionality and the changes are handled from the PC side with the APU-1.
Firstly, the hardware you have is not NVRAM hardware. The NVRAM board is this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3612
It functions fundamentally differently and you should not be using oseplugin or adding a write wire for that solution. You would be using moats instructions and APU1 config in tunerpro.
Secondly check if the '165 has the SXR chip that provides ALDL. If it does not you'll need an interface like this to get USB viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3613 . If it has that chip then a standard ALDL interface will work. Check your ADX configuration and make sure it is configured for echo. That should get you going.
Always keep in mind the differences between APU-1 and the NVRAM solution, which essentially turns the memcal in to a battery backed RAM and the 12P code is updated to add extra commands so the processor knows it can just write to it like RAM. In your case the ECM can't write to it, so you will not be using that functionality and the changes are handled from the PC side with the APU-1.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
jjd2296
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2026 10:09 pm
- cars: I have 2 custom fiero GTs with 3.4 v6 and v 5 superchargers. in the middle of swapping in 1227165 ecm with the $12P hacked code.
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
thanks Antus. Appreciate the help. So basically you are saying I am just running the program in normal mode and need the NVRAM chip adaptor if I want real time VLearn to work. Where can I get a couple of the NVRAM chip adaptor boards? I dont think I need the NVRAM chip as I have those already. Ill check the ecm as well. I have the newest version of tunerpro RT v5, someone said that there might be a newer version of ose plugin for V5 of tunerpro, is that true? can anyone also look at my files and let me know if I made all of the changes needed to accommodate 42lbs bosch (green) injectors?
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
Have a look at the faq area in my signature, all the details are there. The apu-1 is fine, though, not much point going to nvram now since you have that. Learn function gives some hints but does not work that well and eventually turns ve in to a porkupine. it also requires the nvram and wont work with apu-1. It is better to tune more traditionally with logs and some hints from calcve values in the adx. in either histogram or monitors.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
From what I can see is you have reduced the injector flow from 0.1197 to 0.0854 which is the correct direction with fitting larger injectors. I do find the kinjflow calculator to be a little generous but that's now going to depend on your VE values. Good luck and enjoy the program.
-
jjd2296
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2026 10:09 pm
- cars: I have 2 custom fiero GTs with 3.4 v6 and v 5 superchargers. in the middle of swapping in 1227165 ecm with the $12P hacked code.
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
So I burnt a standard 27SF512 chip put it in the ecm and fired up tuner pro RT and put the car into accessory mode. in APU1 mode it wont connect, in OSE Plugin mode it connects and logs data, perfect, so I guess I cannot use the emulation function of the APU1 with this set up, just log and make manual changes then burn a new chip. unless I am missing something?
As for the changes I made to the bin file to accommodate 42lbs injectors, I should have uploaded my log file so you could see what scalers and tables I amended for the 42lb injectors. Did I hit all the scalers and tables that need to be amended?
As for the changes I made to the bin file to accommodate 42lbs injectors, I should have uploaded my log file so you could see what scalers and tables I amended for the 42lb injectors. Did I hit all the scalers and tables that need to be amended?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
If memory serves I managed to get the Autoprom to emulate with Tunerpro and $12P, I think the switches had to be on a different setting? It was definitely unreliable trying to both emulate and log at the same time though, getting it to connect was always challenging and took multiple attempts. Emulation may be useful if the tune is way out and you have a second person to drive while you make changes. Otherwise just logging and making changes offline is probably easier and more reliable.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
autoprom is designed to provide the chip emulation and there is nothing about 12p that blocks that or makes it unusable. It just does not use 12P built in functions for it. So you would follow any instructions for emulating a chip of that size and connecting it to aldl. oseplugin is designed to multiplex the emulation and aquisition parts of tunerpro back on to a single aldl link to the pcm that carries data for both functions, so you dont need it. If it talks through oseplugin it should also talk without it so long as you have the right echo settings in the adx.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
jjd2296
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2026 10:09 pm
- cars: I have 2 custom fiero GTs with 3.4 v6 and v 5 superchargers. in the middle of swapping in 1227165 ecm with the $12P hacked code.
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
I got it working, thanks for the tips.
-
jjd2296
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2026 10:09 pm
- cars: I have 2 custom fiero GTs with 3.4 v6 and v 5 superchargers. in the middle of swapping in 1227165 ecm with the $12P hacked code.
Re: $12P 111 delco 7165 custom tune assistance
Anyone have the NVRAM chip adaptor to work on the 808 or gm 7165? Trying to find some.