PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by antus »

Here are some bins for you to proceed with.

Firstly "unused ddata in segment 6000 for write testing" is the original file of the same name without the note, but I put some data in the bin at address 6660. This is in an unused flash segment, and you can use it to test PCM Hammer. Even if the write fails, the PCM wont brick. If it succeeds it will also make no difference to the PCM, but you'll know things are working.

Secondly I applied a vats off patch to both your files you can use if that is what you need, up until someone creates some definitions or adds support to universal patcher.

The files can also be used to identify the code that reads the vats flag, which with enough technical skills can be used to create a pattern for universal patcher to use to apply the patch in a generic way.

Regarding OBDLink the problem for me is not the speed. Its the difficulty / complexity in the code to maintain it, and the amount of time wasted from support requests from people with failed interfaces out in the wild. I don't have time for that and it makes PCM Hammer look bad. Having said that the CRC problem we have just fixed in this thread was real, and I don't mind chasing a real bug so much if its needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by CDNL »

Thanks for taking the time to change the bins. I tried to load them on to Universal Patcher, but they would not load properly. The data would not load into the drop down lists. I'm attaching the Universal Patcher debug logs for both bins.
In checking the other forums I found postings in Tools>Tools-Universal Patcher-Trouble loading an e38 bin. Where Darkman5001 posted a bin file that was not loading properly on Universal Patcher. I downloaded the file and verified that it would not load, similar to the loading problems with my bins. I then downloaded the fixed version of the bin that Ironduke posted and was able to load and manipulate the data. Ironduke suggested to deselect autodetect and choosing e38.xml. Which leads me to believe that the same fix would fix my problem. where in the program does one do that? To that end, is there a learn Universal Patcher for Dummies site where one can learn to use Universal Patcher?

Regarding OBDLink, after reading your explanation, I can understand your point of view.
There are 3 reasons why I'm using OBDLink, 1. It was supported by PCM Hammmer, 2. I have an older computer that does not have Bluetooth so I need a usb connetion, 3. The cost was under $25.00.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by antus »

Universal patcher is developed by others. They are around sometimes, and might be interested to improve black box support, but I will stick to the flash tools. The bins, you can use as is if your intention was just vats off, or the test one if you want to safely test the write function in the test version of pcmhammer.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by CDNL »

I was able to test write 3 black box pcms with no problems. they were, 1. service #16263494 osid 9365085,
2. service #16250279 (9366810) osid 16263425 and 3. service #9366810 osid 9365095.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cmaje72
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:47 am

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by cmaje72 »

antus wrote: Tue Feb 03, 2026 3:50 am Latest development version has this fixed. It looks like there is a very small segment with the VIN and a couple of flags only, and a different segment order. The PCMHammer output now looks like this and would find your bad sum.
Sorry I havn't been back in a while! Sounds good. I had a feeling it was an oddball thing.
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by CDNL »

Hi cmaje72
In an earlier post you say that you're able to load and make changes to a bin labelled '99burb' with OSID 9365095 using both Universal Patcher and Tuner Pro.
I have a bin from a 1998 gmc truck with the same OSID that I haven't been able to load on either Universal Patcher or Tuner Pro because I don't have the corresponding xml or xdf file.
Would you be willing to share those files so that I can work with my bin???
Thanks in advance
cmaje72
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:47 am

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by cmaje72 »

CDNL wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2026 5:38 pm Hi cmaje72
In an earlier post you say that you're able to load and make changes to a bin labelled '99burb' with OSID 9365095 using both Universal Patcher and Tuner Pro.
I have a bin from a 1998 gmc truck with the same OSID that I haven't been able to load on either Universal Patcher or Tuner Pro because I don't have the corresponding xml or xdf file.
Would you be willing to share those files so that I can work with my bin???
Thanks in advance
A buddy of mine needed to modify the trans lockup tables and that is the only thing in my xdf unfortunately. I only used universal patcher to fix the checksums. Let me go back and look though.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by antus »

I think support landed in UP beta, not sure if its in full yet, maybe.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
CDNL
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by CDNL »

Hey cmaje72, thanks for responding and for checking your files for me, much appreciated.
Antus, I have both, UP full and UP beta. I loaded the file in both programs and got a dtc error message in both programs. You may be thinking of osid 9365085 ,which loads fine in both programs, my osid is 9365095.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support

Post by antus »

That's interesting. The numbers were so close I took a look at the bins. I can see a shift of about +6 bytes from about 0x10030 but looking at the UP XML for 9365085 all defined items are below this range. I also found a couple of other pieces that looked different, but they were small and then it gets back in sync. I looked for items defined in those suspect ranges and I found none. So I think that means the 9365085 XML should also work for 9365095. So I modified the xml to have the 9365095 OSID and changed the filename and nothing else. You can try this file and see if it looks right. If it checks out maybe it can also be added to UP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396