No obsolete parts and low BOM cost.
Schematics are available
Gerbers are available.
Does not require 12 volts
Firmware: https://github.com/garnerm91/J1850VPW_USB
STM32CUBE IDE
It uses a protocol I use for microcontroller-to-microcontroller comms. If someone wants to make support AT commands, that would be a welcome fork. The current command structure works like this: Frames use STX(0x02)/ETX(0x03) framing: [ 0x02 | LEN | CMD | data... | 0x03 ] LEN includes the CMD byte. The device will respond with an ACK = 0x06 or NACK = 0x15.
Commands are
0x01 RX Mode 0x01 = enable, 0x00 = disable
0x02 Send frame J1850 bytes (CRC appended automatically)
Software: Same link as HW
The program for it, "Bridge PRO," does a few things.
-It was written to configure my 99-02 swap box module.
-It also allows for data logging of the J1850VPW bus.
-It also supports scripted playbacks. The scripts are just .txt files and follow like this
Code: Select all
// This is a comment
*100
28 FF 40 06 07 0F 0F
28 93 40 01 FF FF
#this is another type of comment, and then a 500ms delay
*500
49 92 40 42
88 3B 1A 05 00
Video: https://youtu.be/8Q_QOkDVAA0?si=wB11cUSgiiLlm0_x
Full disclosure, I did use AI as a time-saving tool. Software usage was heavier than firmware usage. Mostly because the software part was mostly just for me, but I figured I would share it so people at least have a starting point.