99-K1500-Z71-PCM Hammer Will Not Write Bin File

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
Raner
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 18, 2026 2:13 pm
cars: 1999 K1500 Z71 Extended Cab

99-K1500-Z71-PCM Hammer Will Not Write Bin File

Post by Raner »

Hi All, This is my first post on the forum.
I'm in the USA and the post pertains to PCM. So I think I'm in the correct section.
Let me just tell you I have a working PCM. All I'm trying to do is disable "Vats".
My scanner: OBDX Pro/VX is all up to date with Drivers and firmware.
I'm using a bench harnss.
Below is my GM Black Box PCM and information tag.
PCM.png
This is what I'm getting when I check properties and write pcm on Pcm Hammer.
I tried it with OBDX Pro VX Com3 and with OBDX Pro VX - J2534 Device. Got the same result on both.
I only saved the OBDX Pro VX - J2534 Device
Properties
[12:38:50:467] PCM Hammer 021
[12:38:50:473] Tuesday, May 19 2026 @12:38:50:47
[12:38:50:475] Initializing J2534 Device
[12:38:50:480] Loaded DLL
[12:38:50:548] Connected to the device.
[12:38:50:562] Battery Voltage is: 12.901
[12:38:50:567] Thanks for using PCM Hammer.
[12:39:04:545] VIN: 1GCEK19R0XR144774
[12:39:04:569] OS ID: 9365085
[12:39:04:572] Hardware Type: P01_P59
[12:39:24:746] Calibration ID query failed: Error (This is a problem line)
[12:39:24:767] Hardware ID: 872432205
[12:39:24:841] Serial Number query failed: UnexpectedResponse (This is a problem line)
[12:39:24:869] Broad Cast Code: CMUF
[12:39:24:890] MEC: 0

Write pcm
[12:34:41:929] PCM Hammer 021
[12:34:41:931] Tuesday, May 19 2026 @12:34:41:93
[12:34:41:932] Initializing J2534 Device
[12:34:41:933] Loaded DLL
[12:34:41:986] Connected to the device.
[12:34:41:990] Battery Voltage is: 13.01
[12:34:46:552] VIN: 1GCEK19R0XR144774
[12:34:46:576] OS ID: 9365085
[12:34:46:580] Hardware Type: P01_P59
[12:35:06:772] Calibration ID query failed: Error
[12:35:06:799] Hardware ID: 872432205
[12:35:06:874] Serial Number query failed: UnexpectedResponse
[12:35:06:901] Broad Cast Code: CMUF
[12:35:06:923] MEC: 0
[12:36:53:825] Will save to C:\Users\Garcia-1\Desktop\Defaut Bin Files\test J2534.bin
[12:37:03:839] Querying operating system of current PCM.
[12:37:03:872] OSID: 9365085
[12:37:03:944] The PCM didn't accept the unlock key value
[12:37:08:993] Unlock response truncated, expected 6 bytes, got 4 bytes. (This is a problem line)
[12:37:08:995] Unable to process unlock response.
[12:37:08:997] Unlock was not successful.

I checked this post by Antus:
viewtopic.php?t=8613
Found this :
Please disconnect USB, disconnect OBDII, disconnect battery (remove all power), and turn off ignition switch for 1 minute or more (I like to reboot my PC as well, then everything is in a known state), then,
1. Connect Battery.
2. Connect OBDII
. . Wait for VCI to fully boot
4. Connect USB.
5. Start PcmHammer.
5.a. Select Device if needed.
6. Turn Ignition on.
7. Select 'Read Entire PCM' from the Tools menu.
Waiting 5 or 10 seconds between steps does not hurt!
And found this:
$10_brute_unlock_var_algo.zip
Here is where you all come in "What can I do to get a pcm write
I have more questions but I'll stop here for now...
Thanks for any help you can give me.
In case you haven't figured it out yet I'm a complete NOOB when it comes to PCM HACKING. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: 99-K1500-Z71-PCM Hammer Will Not Write Bin File

Post by antus »

PCM Hammer 021 - does not support black box.
You will need to use a test version. To get it, sign up to github and be logged in. Then go to a recent successful test build in actions and download the winforms version eg:

PCMHammer_WinForms_utc20260411_051232_develop_development_test_version_bed74348f5f2c452ae1c1894c4d00a59a8583103
from
https://github.com/PcmHammer/PcmHammer/ ... 4275175506

You can see the page as a guest but need to be logged in to access the download link.

It is a test version, but is looking pretty good. It has been quite stable on black box but is still not a mainstream release. Do not use unless you accept there is some risk, and if you go ahead please confirm if it works for you. More testing is better. Thanks!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Raner
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 18, 2026 2:13 pm
cars: 1999 K1500 Z71 Extended Cab

Re: 99-K1500-Z71-PCM Hammer Will Not Write Bin File

Post by Raner »

Thanks Antus I will check out and let you know how it did...
Raner
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 18, 2026 2:13 pm
cars: 1999 K1500 Z71 Extended Cab

Re: 99-K1500-Z71-PCM Hammer Will Not Write Bin File

Post by Raner »

Ok, Mission accomplish,The pcm flash worked perfect with the beta pcm hammer.
Thanks to Antus who helped me on this project. He posted on what to use and how to use it every time I hit a brick wall... :D :D :D