Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Want a chip to suit your application? Ask here. Include as much detail in your request as possible.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by vlad01 »

As per title. I am after a rear left caliper for my VP or even just the rear bracket for either side (same for both L and R), as long as the slide pin/holes are in good nick.

I tried market place and didn't find a single rear caliper listed anywhere. Ebay people want drug money for used caliper. New calipers are a bit out of my price range and I also have a full rebuild kit that wasn't exactly cheap either that I want to use.

The issue is not the caliper itself, but the bracket has one pin so badly rusted in and pitted that I can't get out and, that it's basically beyond repair. I found one bracket on ebay, but it looked in sad shape with the pins looking rusted in too and the seller wanted nearly $150! :thumbdown: Brand new caliper from DBA is 170 bucks, so tell em they're dreamin.

If anyone could help me out short notice, that would be most awesome :thumbup:
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by antus »

On ebay (or marketplace) try searching for wrecking commodore then contact the seller to ask about calipers.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by vlad01 »

Closest ones I could find like that are in Bendigo, but since I am going there anyway in a couple of weeks, I'll just try the wrecker there first.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by Charlescrown »

You will get the sliders out by heating them till they start to glow then dropping the bracket into a bucket of water then maybe they may be salvageable. Your right abt as a car gets old they think the parts turn to gold as they rust away in someones shed.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by vlad01 »

Turned up empty handed in Bendigo. The wrecker I loved so much for multiple decades has been bought out and doesn't have much in the way of the majority holden/ford selection is did before.

Tried my old work there on the way home, they did have some junk girlock ones sitting in the scrap piles outside, but not sure if the brackets are exactly the same or not, they looked pretty shit anyway.

Tried commwreck in Melbourne, they did have one or two, but wanted 110 bucks each. So I'm just going with a new one when I accumulate some spare cash and be done with it, at least it saves time and effort rebuilding that one.
jxx
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am
cars: To many
Location: Vic

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by jxx »

$110 for a caliper?
I'll have a look at what i have and get back to you, Might take me a while to sort thru the junkers that i've thrown parts in over the years.
Worst case i'll have to rip one off something. They're not rare enough to be asking 3 figures for an old 2nd hand part.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by vlad01 »

That would be awesome! I thought that too, the asking price is nuts considering what a quality new one costs. You can actually get no name ones for around 110 each but they only sell as a pair for 220.

When do you think you'll get a chance to have a look? Kind of in a hurry to get it back on the wheels ( hence the wanted post) and drive to run in the box and go get fresh fuel since I have already drained and refilled, but that was ages ago (just before the fuel crisis) so I reckon I can't leave it much longer before the fuel goes off again.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by Charlescrown »

I can't believe how fast something like this has disappeared off the market. I would contact companies like PBR who make many repair kits and see if they have one that contains the sliders. My own situation having broken off a side mirror on my Starion know just how you feel.
I see plenty online but they want around $70 which is getting close to a new caliper.
jxx
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am
cars: To many
Location: Vic

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by jxx »

The slide pins are a disposable part of it that are meant to wear and be replaced.
Those are available for about the $30 mark.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Wanted: VN-VS rear left caliper, or bracket (stock live axle)

Post by vlad01 »

I happen to have a full kit, piston and sliders, nipple, seals etc...

Just the bracket is so badly pitted, that even if I got the pin out, the rubber boot won't be able to seal due to the extremely heavy pitting, that will just let dirt and water in again and the pin will probably be sloppy from being eaten out by rust. So I just need a good bracket and I can rebuild it like new. Just can't justify the asking prices going around for what is just the bracket that's needed.

Funnily enough, I came across a website that seemed to have a full section of dedicated marketing for repro rear calipers for these holdens. So there are multiple companies seemingly scrambling to be the premier VN-VS rear caliper reproducers. So weird and uncanny.

https://pwbrakes.com.au/news/holden-com ... -calipers/