GM Gen III, IV, V and V+ CAN data mapping

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
User avatar
gixxer92
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:08 pm
cars: 1986 Camaro IROC (LS7/Tremec Magnum 6-speed)
1988 Firebird Trans Am
2017 Chevrolet Silverado, 6.6L L8T, 10 Speed
2017 Indian Road Master

GM Gen III, IV, V and V+ CAN data mapping

Post by gixxer92 »

I’m capturing raw GM CAN traffic with a Macchina M2 and mapping it to usable ECM and TCM logging channels. My current focus is E92 and E38 ECMs and their transmission interfaces.
In my current setup, I’m recording about 2,800 frames per second to SD without observed loss. That’s an observed rate, not a confirmed limit of the M2 or card.

Does anyone know of public maps, DBCs, documentation, or previous threads identifying message IDs, sending modules, signal positions, scaling, units, and validity bits? I’m also interested in methods for matching broadcasts and diagnostic responses to known scanner channels.

I’ve looked through the Giuthub, commaai and a few other public sources, but I’m looking for additional controller-specific mappings or validation methods.
kur4o
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am

Re: GM Gen III, IV, V and V+ CAN data mapping

Post by kur4o »

If you have bin files out of pcm and tcm you can easily find what is being sent and received through bin analysis, there is some RX and TX tables, you can even trace each message format to specific ram and figure what it is.

Broadcast data vs data logging format is vastly different, most data logging uses active communication and request specific PIDs or Ram addresses.

broadcast data is for passive logging and is limited to what is configured in module, with fixed rates and data.