Converting from Kal to TP5

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
gmh265
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am

Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by gmh265 »

Hey Guys,

Years ago I used Kalmaker to tuneup a hemi6 that I had converted to delco. The hemi6 is long gone, now I am playing with the holden V8. Last night I wrote the OSE$12 V8 binfile to the dalas EEprom on my kalmaker RT board, with no program offset. Is this correct? I also removed the kalmaker security pal from the RT board.

I installed the ecu into one of my cars (v8 vq) and it fired straight up. it idled fine for about 30 seconds then stopped dead. it was midnight and I had left my USB2Serial at work so I gave up at this stage.

My main question is have I got the program offset position correct? any ideas as to why it may have stopped after 30 seconds?

tonight I will check that the car runs on the orginal ecu, then have another crack at the RT5 enabled one.

cheers
User avatar
krusty
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by krusty »

I too am interested in converting a Kal ECM to use with TP.

In regards to burning with the correct offset if done incorrectly the car will only run in limp home mode and throw a C.E.L. along with the thermodynamic fan on.

Your solution will be a simple one no doubt
Lawso
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 pm
cars: VR Ute with VS V6 Getrag driveline
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute
Location: Campbelltown NSW

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by Lawso »

I have done the Kal to OSE conversion.

Just burnt OSE12p to the kal NVRAM and uploaded my bin. From memory the KAL NVRAM was 32kb so I burnt it with no offset.
Installed it into one of my USB serial ECU's and the car fired straight up and ran fine. Put the NVRAM back into the KAL ecu and it worked fine also.

Did have trouble getting the serial converter fitted to the KAL ecu to work. Didn't put a whole heap of effort into it though as the guy who owns the ecu perfered the USB option.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by antus »

Yeah, I started out on kalmaker sp3 too, before meeting some of the other admins here and deciding we had the skills between us to create something better and more modern :)

This is my spreadsheet for converting sp3 sized VE tables to 12p. It may come in useful together with the sp3 xdf.

The hardware is compatible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
gmh265
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by gmh265 »

Hey Guys,

I am still having trouble with my kalmaker conversion (have just ordered NVram conversion and USB board off VL400 :) but would still like to get this going.

I managed to get the car to run and drive on the OSE binfile in the kalmaker hardware, but cannot connect up to the damn thing in realtime.

when using a normal serial port on a laptop to talk to the ECU do you need to set the baud rate to the 8192? if so, how do you do that as its not in the list in the com port settings?

My initial problem was I believe a faulty ECU, I moved the Kal NVRAM over to a different ECU and it started and drives fine now.

cheers for any ideas.. cant wait for my USB high speed comms to arrive!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by antus »

Tunerpro sets the port up, there is nothing for you to do other than load the right adx, plug it all in, and pick the right port in the config. Are you using OSE plugin? If so did you configure its port? If not, did you pick the port for the tunerpro aqusition plugin? What sort of port do you have it connected too? You say built in not usb? I use a normal com port on my workstation pc at home for testing, and it works ok.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by Jayme »

yeah new laptops intenral com ports can be funny tho, my toshiba A11 internal com port dont work, ive still got to use the usb.
gmh265
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by gmh265 »

I am using the OSE plug-in with the com port set up. laptop is an older dell running xp with the onboard serial port.

I went and had a play with the car at lunch time and it is lighting the CEL when running the car on the NVRAM Based computer, and also running like a busted arse. I think it may be in limp home mode which would indicate I may have corrupted the NVRam? I will try re-burn the NVRAM when I get home and go from there.

cheers!
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by VL400 »

Yeah certainly sounds like its in limp home mode if the CEL is on solid all the time and no comms - A/C fan would also be on.
gmh265
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am

Re: Converting from Kal to TP5

Post by gmh265 »

Yep it was certainly in limp mode.

I tried to verify the NVRAM on the programmer with the STD OSE bin and that failed, and then tried to re-write the OSE bin to the NVRAM which also failed! I appear to have killed the NVRAM somehow. I have been having occasional alternator issues in the car in question but I would assume the ECU has some sort of voltage regulator?

I had a second NVRAM which I wrote the OSE bin to, put that in the car and now I have a RT connection! awesome! now I just have to get the motec plm working with the delco and I am away..

cheers