Converting from Kal to TP5
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
Good stuff, the motec PLM does not play 100% nice with the the 12P code, cant use wideband VE learn. Some info here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =27&t=1221
-
gmh265
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
Thanks for the info, I see the original poster of that topic did not want to mess with the PLM's internal setup in that case.
I on the other hand am quite happy to mess with it! The Motec PLM's analogue channel can be programmed to output pretty much what ever you want relative to airfuel ratio/lambda etc (see attached piccy) so hopefully with a little bit of stuffing around I can get it to work. I am keen to use wideband VE learn so hopefully it wont be too hard.
I will post up the results/info once (or If) I get it working
cheers
I on the other hand am quite happy to mess with it! The Motec PLM's analogue channel can be programmed to output pretty much what ever you want relative to airfuel ratio/lambda etc (see attached piccy) so hopefully with a little bit of stuffing around I can get it to work. I am keen to use wideband VE learn so hopefully it wont be too hard.
I will post up the results/info once (or If) I get it working
cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
i don't see why you shouldn't be able to get it to work like any other device!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
gmh265
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
Ok new problem guys
The whole reason that I was getting back into tuning delco was to try and improve my weekend toys driveablility (355/motec twin TB manifold etc ~380 rwhp)
I have not owned it for that long and I ASSuMEd that it would just have a vn spec 808 delco in it. tonight I went out to where it is being kept at the moment and grabed the ecu, I knew I was in trouble when I saw the screws holding the memcal cover on were torx bits... it must be a vr or vs manual ecu? It definitely has the high speed data chip on it too.
Thats all fine I can handle having the better ecu (and it has a remanufactured by GM sticker on it and the whole ecu looks like new) but It has a chip torque chip in it, which I also expected, but I thought it would just be an eprom. it has its own little NVRAM type thing going on (I think) or maybe its just an EEprom.
anyone come across one of these before? all the details have been filed off the main chip, and there is two smaller chips on the board. (one underneath)
How am I going to read the bin file off it? does anyone know what chip it might be so I can tell my pocket programmer? if i get the bin off it will it make any sense?
cheers guys
The whole reason that I was getting back into tuning delco was to try and improve my weekend toys driveablility (355/motec twin TB manifold etc ~380 rwhp)
I have not owned it for that long and I ASSuMEd that it would just have a vn spec 808 delco in it. tonight I went out to where it is being kept at the moment and grabed the ecu, I knew I was in trouble when I saw the screws holding the memcal cover on were torx bits... it must be a vr or vs manual ecu? It definitely has the high speed data chip on it too.
Thats all fine I can handle having the better ecu (and it has a remanufactured by GM sticker on it and the whole ecu looks like new) but It has a chip torque chip in it, which I also expected, but I thought it would just be an eprom. it has its own little NVRAM type thing going on (I think) or maybe its just an EEprom.
anyone come across one of these before? all the details have been filed off the main chip, and there is two smaller chips on the board. (one underneath)
How am I going to read the bin file off it? does anyone know what chip it might be so I can tell my pocket programmer? if i get the bin off it will it make any sense?
cheers guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10016
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
Yeah, use one of The1s memcal adaptors from here:
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =14&t=1275
And read it like a normal memcal. They read just the same. You should be able to ID the bin with The1s binid tool, and it should ID as a standard bin and be editable with a normal XDF. As far as I know they usually just tweak the calibration so it doesnt upset anything. At least that was true with the VT one I had a play with.
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =14&t=1275
And read it like a normal memcal. They read just the same. You should be able to ID the bin with The1s binid tool, and it should ID as a standard bin and be editable with a normal XDF. As far as I know they usually just tweak the calibration so it doesnt upset anything. At least that was true with the VT one I had a play with.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
gmh265
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
antus wrote:Yeah, use one of The1s memcal adaptors from here:
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =14&t=1275
And read it like a normal memcal. They read just the same. You should be able to ID the bin with The1s binid tool, and it should ID as a standard bin and be editable with a normal XDF. As far as I know they usually just tweak the calibration so it doesnt upset anything. At least that was true with the VT one I had a play with.
Will be nice if its that easy! In the setup for my pocket programmer there is a section where you tell it what type of chip it is? do I just tell it the same as a factory memcal chip?
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
the last memcal I had like that one wouldnt read in a programmer. I had to use an aldl cable and download via vl400's flashtool. from there I could read it with a normal xdf
-
gmh265
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 am
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
OK cool.. what sort of cable to I have to buy/build to do that? if I plug the memcal into a normal 808 with vl400's usb hi speed upgrade will that be able to read it?
cheers
cheers
-
vn5000
- Posts: 551
- Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:11 am
- cars: vn v8 commodore
- Location: GOLD COAST QLD
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
Ive read these before in a programmer .Try using 27c512 settings.
The 3082 ecm is the same as an 808 , but it has high speed aldl ability.
Some of the older chip torque memcals wont support 8192 aldl though as they are based on vn /vp calibrations ,which only have the 160 baud rate,so you cant use the flashtool with them.If it is a vn / vp code then it will probably be $FB , from past experience.
The 3082 ecm is the same as an 808 , but it has high speed aldl ability.
Some of the older chip torque memcals wont support 8192 aldl though as they are based on vn /vp calibrations ,which only have the 160 baud rate,so you cant use the flashtool with them.If it is a vn / vp code then it will probably be $FB , from past experience.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Converting from Kal to TP5
Yep, if its got the normal 8192baud code in there you will be able to read it using the USB interface you havegmh265 wrote:OK cool.. what sort of cable to I have to buy/build to do that? if I plug the memcal into a normal 808 with vl400's usb hi speed upgrade will that be able to read it?
cheers