Few Q's getting started

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Few Q's getting started

Post by Holden202T »

there is an easy way to work it out .....

32k bin file:
32 x 8 = 256k chip

also 128k chip say out of a vn v6:
128 / 8 = 16k bin file

vs v8 auto for another example:
64k bin file
64 x 8 = 512k chip

this along with VL400's memory offset table in the previous post should help you work out what you need for certain hardware/bins.
User avatar
BIGALSRYD
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:27 am

Re: Few Q's getting started

Post by BIGALSRYD »

The chip I am burning to is a 29c256 - and I am burning 12p bin - 32k right so I just burn at 0000? I think the offset is not the problem, is there anything else I could be missing?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Few Q's getting started

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thats right
User avatar
BIGALSRYD
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:27 am

Re: Few Q's getting started

Post by BIGALSRYD »

OK guys still having drama's have tried unsuccessfully burning the ARBP bin and even the standard BAAM bin I read off the memcal onto an eeprom still cant get it to work. The ARBP BAAM bins I write at 0x4000 but still no good. Any suggestions? Have tried 3 different chips
vn5000
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:11 am
cars: vn v8 commodore
Location: GOLD COAST QLD

Re: Few Q's getting started

Post by vn5000 »

What type of burner do you have .if its a willem you have to change jump pins for a 29c256.
Does the chip verify ok after you have programmed it.
Have you tried putting an eprom with a working bin in the socket to verify you dont have a bad connection with the socketed memcal.
User avatar
BIGALSRYD
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:27 am

Re: Few Q's getting started

Post by BIGALSRYD »

All good got it sorted now. One of the legs of the eprom wasn't making a connection where but when i plugged the original prom in the legs are slightly longer and would connect fine. Its weird that its only one leg of the socket - but all sorted now. Thanks for the help.

Cheers