Well, just put my turbo back on the hilux and set the timing map to 15degrees at 120kpa and then to 13 at 130kpa then to 10 degrees at 140 kpa and 10 degrees all the way to 200kpa.
AF is set at 12.5 all boost regions.
The last time I had this turbo on I blew the engine before I even got into 2nd gear.
Today I took it out the gate and up the road and turned around at the top of the hill and gave it a squirt... the turbo was whistling away and went like a rocket.
I only gave it the one rev and was watching the wideband and seemed ok. = WIN. Well, at least I done better than last time and the motor is still in one piece.
Is it normal for the extremely loud turbine noise under boost? sounded like a jet.
anyway, as I was sitting in the driveway I was revving it and idling, just looking and playing and I noticed the water temp was up a bit, normally sits around 95 at idle and revving in neutral butr now she is above 110. I just cut both heater hoses and t pieced them for the turbo water lines. I think the water leaves the heads into manifold, then into turbo then back into the water pump and just getting hotter and hotter. how should the water lines be plumbed for a holden vp v8?
Also, when I have the bonnet closed and sitting idling and revving in neutral for 10 mins or so the AF ratio goes lean up to 19:1 at idle and light load while revving it.
I am fairly sure the ve is correct as when the engine is at operating temp the afr's are good, just seems to go lean when the engine bay gets hot.?? has me puzzled why. any ideas? I was thinking maybe the fuel reg rubber or whatever is in it might be going soft under heat and losing fuel pressure but I don't know how to test it or have the guage to check.
Thoughts?
car runs lean when hot ??
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: car runs lean when hot ??
I am starting to wander if it could even be that a lead or 2 rubbing on the turbo manifold might be breaking down under heat? maybe stopping spark? don';t know.
I might get my hands on one of those infra red temp guns and point it at the manifolds when it does it and see if cylinders are not firing properly? would this test work. I tried pulling fuel injector fittings off but kept burning the shit out of my fingers and couldn't really tell much at idle.
any other ideas?
I might get my hands on one of those infra red temp guns and point it at the manifolds when it does it and see if cylinders are not firing properly? would this test work. I tried pulling fuel injector fittings off but kept burning the shit out of my fingers and couldn't really tell much at idle.
any other ideas?
-
TTVN
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:01 pm
- cars: TT 355 VN, Rearmount turbo 355 vp, cammed 355 hj60 landcruiser, vx clubby n efilive VZ ls1 wagon
Re: car runs lean when hot ??
with your leanout issue are you sure you have your injector rate set correct?
you may need to change the position of your IAT sensor to achieve a more even fuelling
i believe your water plumbing will be correct the way you have it setup
i think you need to get a grasp on your overheating issue before doing more tuning, realistically you need your temp at 80-90 degreees to keep it safe, this will also affect your iat issues and fuelling
also you should never have leads touching a manifold
you may need to change the position of your IAT sensor to achieve a more even fuelling
i believe your water plumbing will be correct the way you have it setup
i think you need to get a grasp on your overheating issue before doing more tuning, realistically you need your temp at 80-90 degreees to keep it safe, this will also affect your iat issues and fuelling
also you should never have leads touching a manifold
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: car runs lean when hot ??
Hi TTVN,
I'm trying to sort out as many problems as I can before I bring it down your way.
I need a new stronger tailshaft, new engine mounts, new transfer case mount, extra auxiliary radiator, a water to air intercooler and extra radiator for that, I need to cut my crossover pipe under the engine and weld in a stainless bendable thing because I'm having trouble with sealing the flanges at each end of it. every time I try cut the crossover to weld it straight... it distorts a mm or so and I think a bendable joint will fix it. I also need to wrap up my manifolds, weld in the narrowband bung into the dump pipe, Get some spark plug insulating sleeves, re-locate my hard fuel lines away from the turbo (currently have the fuel lines right behind turbo and dump pipe= bad spot for a fire to start.
Then I just need to fit my turbo controler, buy a couple of extra fuel pumps and a set of the injectors (my injector duty cycle hit 140% today at half throttle but surprissingly the wideband still read desired AFR of 12.5), then build my seperate fuel tank for the ethanol, and it should be ready for you to work the magic.
Money and time is the holdup. What sort of dollars would I be looking at for a re do of the entire ve tables etc and tune the thing. pm if you want.
The AF ratio going lean when hot has me puzzled.(maybe the dump pipe is boiling/expanding my fuel lol.(only does it when the turbo manifolds and that are on, it has been fine for the last couple months aspirated. No doubt there will be more niggly things to fix before she is ready for the dyno. It's far easier to find the faults and fix em here first if I can before handing it over.
Thanks,
I'm trying to sort out as many problems as I can before I bring it down your way.
I need a new stronger tailshaft, new engine mounts, new transfer case mount, extra auxiliary radiator, a water to air intercooler and extra radiator for that, I need to cut my crossover pipe under the engine and weld in a stainless bendable thing because I'm having trouble with sealing the flanges at each end of it. every time I try cut the crossover to weld it straight... it distorts a mm or so and I think a bendable joint will fix it. I also need to wrap up my manifolds, weld in the narrowband bung into the dump pipe, Get some spark plug insulating sleeves, re-locate my hard fuel lines away from the turbo (currently have the fuel lines right behind turbo and dump pipe= bad spot for a fire to start.
Then I just need to fit my turbo controler, buy a couple of extra fuel pumps and a set of the injectors (my injector duty cycle hit 140% today at half throttle but surprissingly the wideband still read desired AFR of 12.5), then build my seperate fuel tank for the ethanol, and it should be ready for you to work the magic.
Money and time is the holdup. What sort of dollars would I be looking at for a re do of the entire ve tables etc and tune the thing. pm if you want.
The AF ratio going lean when hot has me puzzled.(maybe the dump pipe is boiling/expanding my fuel lol.(only does it when the turbo manifolds and that are on, it has been fine for the last couple months aspirated. No doubt there will be more niggly things to fix before she is ready for the dyno. It's far easier to find the faults and fix em here first if I can before handing it over.
Thanks,
-
blownvp
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm
Re: car runs lean when hot ??
i would run a bit richer on boost 11.5-12.are you running an open pod filter if so turbo will be noisy.
-
DieselBob
- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 am
- cars: Isuzu DMax
Alfa Romeo Guilletta - Location: NSW
Re: car runs lean when hot ??
I'm not big on turbos...
But I remember reading on a JDM site about exhaust temps going high....
Vaguely remember something about over fueling having a secondary burn in the manifold....
Causing engine over temp and lean O2....
They were suggesting an exhaust temp sensor to check...
Don't know if this helps or how accurate....
But I remember reading on a JDM site about exhaust temps going high....
Vaguely remember something about over fueling having a secondary burn in the manifold....
Causing engine over temp and lean O2....
They were suggesting an exhaust temp sensor to check...
Don't know if this helps or how accurate....