remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Want a chip to suit your application? Ask here. Include as much detail in your request as possible.
come304
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am
cars: Vg ute with vy ecotec and t5.
Vr stage 2 c,o,m,e racing 304. t5, full spooled diff.
vz wagon v6 (family wagon)

remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by come304 »

Hi I have put a vy ecotec into my vg ute (t5 Manual) using the vg series 2 ecu. The motor run a lot better and smoother then the old one but it will pink under load. Who would be able to remap the ecu for me? I live in rural nsw and need the car as it is a work ute. Do I have to send the ecu away or can I just buy a modified memcal. I do have the ability to solder quite well and have replaced a few different solder in memcals etc in both bikes and cars but i am not really up to speed with the hacking the computer side of things. Thanks for any help.
come304
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am
cars: Vg ute with vy ecotec and t5.
Vr stage 2 c,o,m,e racing 304. t5, full spooled diff.
vz wagon v6 (family wagon)

remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by come304 »

Hi I have just put a ecotec vy engine into my vg series 2 ute utillising the vg s3 ecu . The motor runs great and smooth (had flywheel balanced to suit ecotec) but the car will pink under load. Do I have to send whole ecu away or can I buy a memcal? thanks. p.s I need the ute on the road so a quick turn around isrequired.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by Holden202T »

im not really sure on the ute models, is a VG like a vn/vp or a vr ?

i had the same issues with the ecotec pinging on the stock tune, try putting 98 octane fuel in it, that should almost get rid of the pinging.

either way you can use the $12P ecotec 808 tune i made and it should fix your issues, it has close to stock ecotec timing map in it, which is alot less timing then a pre ecotec tune would have in it.
come304
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am
cars: Vg ute with vy ecotec and t5.
Vr stage 2 c,o,m,e racing 304. t5, full spooled diff.
vz wagon v6 (family wagon)

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by come304 »

Thanks 98 does stop it pinking but at $1.68l and I do 500 plus ks a week not really a long term solution. How do I go about get this tune of yours done Thanks mate.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by Holden202T »

do you have the ability to burn tunes to chips, if no then you would need to post your chip to one of us guys that can erase, re-program and return.
come304
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am
cars: Vg ute with vy ecotec and t5.
Vr stage 2 c,o,m,e racing 304. t5, full spooled diff.
vz wagon v6 (family wagon)

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by come304 »

Thanks mate, while I can navigate around a computer o.k mucking around with burning chips etc would be out of my depth without some sort of training. So can I send another chip out of a 808 to you and have you do it?(as I need it on the road) or is there a step by step instructions on how to burn the chips that I can follow. I am semi computer literate. Any help will be appreicated greatly. I do have a male diagnostic plug If I need that. thanks again
come304
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am
cars: Vg ute with vy ecotec and t5.
Vr stage 2 c,o,m,e racing 304. t5, full spooled diff.
vz wagon v6 (family wagon)

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by come304 »

Hi Holden202. Sorry mate yes the Vg is basically both a vn and vp depending on year model mine is a 11 month 91 model making it closer to the vp series 2 motor
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by Holden202T »

well the big question is do you have the eraser and programmer to do it yourself, if not then yeah you'll have to mail a spare memcal to get "upgraded"
come304
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am
cars: Vg ute with vy ecotec and t5.
Vr stage 2 c,o,m,e racing 304. t5, full spooled diff.
vz wagon v6 (family wagon)

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by come304 »

no I dont have either of those things. I can get hold of a spare memcal and mail it to you if you are interested but it will be a week or two till i get it (it is out at the farm and the rain has made it impassable at the moment) Will pay for it of couse. P.m with address if you are interested Thanks or email me agt [email protected]
come304
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am
cars: Vg ute with vy ecotec and t5.
Vr stage 2 c,o,m,e racing 304. t5, full spooled diff.
vz wagon v6 (family wagon)

Re: remapping ecu for ecotec motor

Post by come304 »

On the subject of programing I would be intersted I learning how to. Do you know of any places to read up and learn this stuff. not to make new tunes just to change stuff like auto to manual tune etc.