Charge temp is part of the fueling calc, your tuning a speed density ECU. The density part is something that needs to be calculated and someting that changes the density is air temp - so how hot the charge (or air that enters the cyl) is a vital part. The ECU cant measure this charge temp directly, it can measure the manifold air temp but coolant can still heatsoak the air. So it uses the table % coolant contribution to tell it how much the coolant changes the manifold air temp.
Remove the wire from the alternator and see how much the AFR varies, if you have the inj voltage comp table setup correctly it wont change.
going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector volt
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
Thanks vl400, I'll try that.
So although the air density changes with temperature, Is this a set figure/formula hidden (invisbly) and working behind the scenes in the tune that we can't alter via a graph.
Does that mean if my engine runs excessively lean when the charge temp increases, that I can't manually enter into any graph a figure that will correct it?
If air doubles in size and halfs it's oxygen content with double the manifold charge temp... there must be a calculation somewhere or wouldn't the engine run rich with increased air temps?
Sorry for the dumb questions guys, I'm keen to figure this all out and I can't fix the problem until i completely understand whats going on... or not going on.
cheers
So although the air density changes with temperature, Is this a set figure/formula hidden (invisbly) and working behind the scenes in the tune that we can't alter via a graph.
Does that mean if my engine runs excessively lean when the charge temp increases, that I can't manually enter into any graph a figure that will correct it?
If air doubles in size and halfs it's oxygen content with double the manifold charge temp... there must be a calculation somewhere or wouldn't the engine run rich with increased air temps?
Sorry for the dumb questions guys, I'm keen to figure this all out and I can't fix the problem until i completely understand whats going on... or not going on.
cheers
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
ive tuned 2 boosted v8's with 60lb siemens, one lastnight. I tried putting the seimens numbers in the injector tables at first, but it just fucks it up, both of them are running the stock injector volts tables and both of them have perfect cold start and no AFR variation form temperature. if the injector volts table is wrong, at different temps, its using different parts of the VE mapand when it tries to make it a little bit leaner when its hot, it can get a lot leaner, these were the problems I saw before I put the injector tables back to stock holden specs.
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
I am going to download a fresh ose12p and start from scratch today,
any ideas why, when i put is 80lb into the kinjflow that I need over 100ve..even for idle cells to run? I might have to buy a fuel pressure gauge and just see whats going on? maybe if my fuel pressure regulator is weakened the spring, maybe i am not sending the fuel to the injectors that it is expecting and could explain the reason why i need to fudge the kinjflow to get it to run under 100% in the ve tables. (running over 100% in the ve cells is impossible as it doesn't save the numbers and just saves as 99. for the cells.
Thanks for all the suggestons, I will get a win in the end.
any ideas why, when i put is 80lb into the kinjflow that I need over 100ve..even for idle cells to run? I might have to buy a fuel pressure gauge and just see whats going on? maybe if my fuel pressure regulator is weakened the spring, maybe i am not sending the fuel to the injectors that it is expecting and could explain the reason why i need to fudge the kinjflow to get it to run under 100% in the ve tables. (running over 100% in the ve cells is impossible as it doesn't save the numbers and just saves as 99. for the cells.
Thanks for all the suggestons, I will get a win in the end.
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
how did you arrrive at 0.039? I did a quick calculation and pegged it closer to 0.0438
did you take into account the displacement increase from 304 to 383?
in any case, dont worry too much, the injector flow isnt a number that needs to be exactly at a cetain place. just as long as your highest VE is below 100 then its fine. calculating it is only to get it in the ballpark for starting it.
did you take into account the displacement increase from 304 to 383?
in any case, dont worry too much, the injector flow isnt a number that needs to be exactly at a cetain place. just as long as your highest VE is below 100 then its fine. calculating it is only to get it in the ballpark for starting it.
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
yeah I put in 6300cc/8 =7877.5
then petrol
kinjflow =.039
to get the ve table looking respectable, i need to fudge the kinjflow to 0.05
If it is fine at that, I'll just go for it. The tune is fine, starts good hot and cold, runs nice, except when the bay gets very hot i see the lean out across the board.
The leanout happens slowly as charge temp increases and the volts drop. I'll try the thing with the factory volts injector compensation and take the alternator wire off like vl400 said and try to alter it so that i see no change in afr with dropping battery volts.
I wish i knew what i was doing...
I have asked a few pro's what they reckon it would cost to tune the car but they all say i t could run into a couple grand.
That's why i went the nvram mods in the first place... to save the couple grand and learn something different.
I went to every mechanic In town, even holden dealer and not one of em had any idea how to tune a delco, so at least that makes me feel not so dumb ha ha
then petrol
kinjflow =.039
to get the ve table looking respectable, i need to fudge the kinjflow to 0.05
If it is fine at that, I'll just go for it. The tune is fine, starts good hot and cold, runs nice, except when the bay gets very hot i see the lean out across the board.
The leanout happens slowly as charge temp increases and the volts drop. I'll try the thing with the factory volts injector compensation and take the alternator wire off like vl400 said and try to alter it so that i see no change in afr with dropping battery volts.
I wish i knew what i was doing...
That's why i went the nvram mods in the first place... to save the couple grand and learn something different.
I went to every mechanic In town, even holden dealer and not one of em had any idea how to tune a delco, so at least that makes me feel not so dumb ha ha
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
if your seeing 90 ish max ve with .05 leave it at that!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
if he added the injector voltage offsets right from the start then thats probably why his ve table goes so high i set every car with the exact size for the injectors and ive never had an issue of going over the ve tables limits.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
I need to check my fuel pressure, the regulator is standard and original... 20 years old. if it is giving less pressure it could explain it.
I might have a win on it today, I went for a drive and got it hot and turned it off and waited ten minutes for the heatsoak. sure enough apon re start it was lean 18/19:1
then i changed the figures in the "voltage compensation vs battery voltage in the 12 volt cell from 1.00 to 1.25 and it went straight back to normal afr's..
whatever this table does, it has the power to change the afr's with less or more volts.
I'll give it a go when it cools down again and if i'm lucky it won't be too rich when cold. then i'm in business.
I might have a win on it today, I went for a drive and got it hot and turned it off and waited ten minutes for the heatsoak. sure enough apon re start it was lean 18/19:1
then i changed the figures in the "voltage compensation vs battery voltage in the 12 volt cell from 1.00 to 1.25 and it went straight back to normal afr's..
whatever this table does, it has the power to change the afr's with less or more volts.
I'll give it a go when it cools down again and if i'm lucky it won't be too rich when cold. then i'm in business.
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: going over 100ve. reduce kinjflow or increase injector v
that table represents how much injector pulse ms to add for each voltage due to injector opening times. adding it at 12v will richen it up everywhere at 12v, cold, hot whatever.